Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

cleaning the engine

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

just_st3v3n
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
Region: Northern
What Minis have you?: 1989 red mayfair aka project nancy
Modifications: Nancy is deseamed and will be getting some sort of modern engine someday

cleaning the engine

Post by just_st3v3n »

i mentioned to my uncle today if he knew any1 who could clean my engine properly. (the head, bores etc.) read about it in miniworld or somewhere where they dip the head into some acidy stuff n clean it up proper n see if there is any damage or new parts needed.

does any1 kno bout this method n the costs involved???

anyway my uncle said instead of doin that, i could myself:

clear the oil from the engine, fill it up wit 4.5 -5 litres of (not sure wat he said) white spirits (?) n a bit of oil . let the engine run for few mins and rinse the engine out again and refill wit oil....

im not entilrely sure of the state of my engine, ive only driven it for about aprox. 5000 miles and havent had any probs wit it really. theres 73000 miles on clock. it runs pretty fine for a 998cc n is quite nippy but not not extremely fast on main roads :oops:

Ciaran
NON Member

Post by Ciaran »

Ive heard of people cleaning out engines with White spirit Im not sure if its just taking the mick. Id be very concerned as to how you would get all the spirits out prior to refilling the engine with standard oil.
mustard
NON Member
What Minis have you?: 97 rover cooper sportspack, a bloody metro and MY 61 mini van

Post by mustard »

never heard of white spirits, but wen we wer cleanin an engine of gunk oil after a head gasket, we used a 50 50 mix of oil and diesal to clean the engine... hope that helps. you sholdn't really take the head off just to clean it, migh as well wait till the head gasket or some other reason before doin summit like dat...