Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

i need a little help

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

minilady
NON Member

i need a little help

Post by minilady »

for the last couple of mornings ive had to jump start my mini,she goes no probs then, the minute i switch her of her battery is dead again, it seems the battery isnt holding a charge, but can go for miles if i dont switch her of, any ideas

clubmankev
NON Member
Whats your location?: Lucan, Dublin.
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1997 mini cooper

Re: i need a little help

Post by clubmankev »

I had the very same problem myself last month. Even though the battery is only three years old, it needed a good recharge. Took a trip to halfords and laid out for a half decent battery charger, put the battery on charge (it took 21 hours on trickle charge) and it has been like a new battery ever since:-)
Before forking out, you might check the battery terminal clamps and alternator connector and belt tension but I'd say its just a tired battery in need of a good charge!
MINI
...where size doesn't matter!

jocelynn
IMOC Paid Member

Post by jocelynn »

Give paul kelly a call in minifix on 087 2597085 he will point you in the right direction
joeyfinneran
NON Member
Whats your location?: roscommon
Region: Western

Post by joeyfinneran »

I had the same problem with mine months back and it was the battery earth cable and it wasnt letting the battery charge so id cheack both your earths
keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

winters are tough on batteries... more current needed to start engine, more lights, heaters and fan running...

check that your fan-belt is set to the correct tension so that the alternator charges the battery fully... the belt wears with time and it slips under load.

check the electrical connection on the battery, alternator and starter motor.. clean the battery terminals and smear vaseline on them when re-attaching.

when the engine is running, the voltage at the battery should be at or over 12.5 volts.
Signature still awaiting top-coat and lacquer....