Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Help with engine wiring please.

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Pump
NON Member
Whats your location?: Kilkenny
Region: Southern

Help with engine wiring please.

Post by Pump »

So I helping my nephew with his mini, its a 88-91 ish 998 as far as i know. He bought it as a shell and got an engine with it. So he put the engine in it and now were trying to match up the wiring.

Now the problem is we dont know if he has the correct solenoid, coil etc for this engine. I believe as its a 93 mini it has a wiring loom for a pre engaged starter and a ballested ignition system, but the engine seems to be from an older car with an inertia starter.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to do? Please and thanks

Ian

woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Re: Help with engine wiring please.

Post by woody »

You are correct that the '93 will be wired for a pre engaged starter and if your correct about the engine year it should also be pre engaged, the changeover being 1986. It is possable to fit an inertia motor inplace of the pre engaged but it won't function correctly so what you need to do first is establish what type flywheel is fitted in the engine.If you post the engine number we may be able to put a year on it and if you remove the starter motor and take a picture of the flywheel through the opening we may be able to ID it.
At the coil wires if one of them is white with a yellow trace its a ballest system.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
Pump
NON Member
Whats your location?: Kilkenny
Region: Southern

Post by Pump »

ok cool woodie il try get pics tomorrow, my nephew reckons the engine is pre 88 and the car a bit newer. Il get engine number too. Would it be easier to change starter if possible than re jig the wiring to suit the inertia starter?
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

The starter has to match the flywheel ring gear. If your engine has the inertia type ring gear I would be inclined to swap the flywheel to the later type (pick one up secondhand), Otherwise the wiring can be altered easy enough with the addition of a starter solinoid.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR