Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Advice - Mini as a first car?

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

red mini
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern

Re: Advice - Mini as a first car?

Post by red mini »

Joey, thanks, I'm confused now, I thought the later ones had twin exhaust which made them less noisy, oh, this is not straightforward at all... too many things to consider! :) oh, so they're uncomfortable too now.. you're starting to put me off! :(

red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

spud1979 wrote:No there is a 2000 mini in Dublin on it
..sorry Spud, I can't find it! :?
daniel garry
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1996 BRG mayfair 1275 auto-lyin up now
1990 1l city-daily driver
1993 cooper spi-completly stripped and upside down!
the long term project(advantage) courtesy of mr skelly!!
rotten shell-found a floor repair panel in the boot tho!

Post by daniel garry »

red mini wrote:
spud1979 wrote:No there is a 2000 mini in Dublin on it
..sorry Spud, I can't find it! :?
this 1?? http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3531848
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

...that's the one I thought it was but that's in Kerry and he says there's one in Dublin. I can't find it though!
Darran
Comittee Member
Whats your location?: Abbeyleix
Co. Laois
What Minis have you?: 1961 Austin Seven,1982 Mini Van,1980 Clubman Estate,1982 Clubman Estate,1986 Mini City,1991 Mini Neon,1994 Mini Cabriolet,1996 Mini Cooper,1997 Mini Cooper Sportspack,1999 Mini Cooper Sportspack

Post by Darran »

red mini wrote:...that's the one I thought it was but that's in Kerry and he says there's one in Dublin. I can't find it though!
Hi red mini,

Id say it has been removed from Donedeal because its sold, i seen it myself last night but gone now, it needed a bit of work on the body but later minis at that price dont hang around for long.
Keep an eye on donedeal and the "For Sale" section in this forum, as minis crop up daily :D

Darran.
Darran Hutchinson
PRO / Event Coordinator
Irish Mini Owners Club
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

Thanks Darren, that must be it. If it needed body work done I would have had to leave it in somewhere to get done, it would have cost a lot maybe.. I wouldn't have been able to do it myself... well, not yet anyway! :) Please don't tell me it was red?!! Yeah, I'll keep looking! thanks! :)
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

red mini wrote: How will I know which ones have 12" as opposed to 13" wheels? ..sorry, I'm trying to find out myself but can't find it! :?
The size is written on the side of the tyre. 8)

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

Thanks Marcos! :lol: I thought certain years had them. I'll just have to look at the tyres! :)
Tony Cooney
NON Member
What Minis have you?: 1992 Mini City

Post by Tony Cooney »

Not sure what your budget is but this looks like a very good solid car and the price is reasonable:

http://www.irishminis.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8360
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

Thanks Tony! I saw that the other day, it's lovely, and it is a good price. I think I'd go for a later one from '97 onwards, I read they're not as noisy! :)
twinjocks
IMOC Paid Member

Post by twinjocks »

Hi red mini,

Another girl Mini driver here - I learned to drive in a Mini quite a number of years ago - and have owned only Minis since (apart from an emergency buy of a Micra once - yawn - what a boring boring car that was!). My 17-year-old daughter is now about to start learning to drive - in a Mini, of course.

My 2 cents are that, yes, they are wonderfully fun to drive, easy to park obviously, relatively inexpensive to maintain, definitely cheap to run. They are older cars and you will encounter mechanical problems. I can do some very basic basics, and have learned to diagnose a fair bit over the years, but rely on our friend and Mini mechanic, Paul Kelly, for most stuff. What tends to happen is you'll get a run of a year/18 months/maybe even 2 years trouble-free motoring - then will hit a period of lots of things going wrong. It's a question of getting over that hump to another trouble-free year/18 months, etc. without giving up. That's what sorts out the true Mini-lovers from everybody else I think!!!

Julie
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

I thought Daisy took driving lessons last year in Switzerland.
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

Hi Julie, thanks for that. It's good to know there are other female mini drivers out there, I've only ever seen one or two, that's why I had a feeling it was because you need to be a bit into the mechanics to own one, not that girls wouldn't of course, but I had a look at the mini Haynes manual in Halfords the other day and there's a lot in it. I really can't see myself doing much car servicing myself! :) I even had a little look at the selection of wax products, would it be just one of those bottles that you'd treat it with regularly to prevent rust?
Well, people keep trying to put me off getting one, it's hard to get excited about it if family members aren't too keen on the idea! I'm going to go to the Terenure car show, it might help me decide, but I know when I see them there I'll want one even more!!
mini_sprite94
NON Member
Whats your location?: just out side Mitchlestown.
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1995 Mini Sprite, Elmo.

Post by mini_sprite94 »

are the family members paying for it? no? then feck em! :lol:
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

Haha! exactly!!! :lol: ..that's exactly it, I've always wanted one, if I don't get one now I probably never will. I'd be thinking bout my sister too, she lives abroad and she'd use it whenever she's over, so I suppose I'd have to think of her too. She's grand, she's had her full license for years but she's saying it would be hard to drive for me, and I'd be spending money getting it serviced etc. :?
minis24se7en
NON Member
Whats your location?: Mayo.

Post by minis24se7en »

When you start overthinking something it can get very complicated, with advice from all sides and "get this" and "don't get that" :lol: (And the advice here is 100% just that there are so many views and opinions from each personal experience)

Go to the show, see the minis and talk to the members. Then when you're familiar with the types of minis that are out there you can narrow it down to what type and year range of mini you want and are comfortable with. Once you know what you want, and as you can see so far, theres plenty of help on here to keep an eye out for the right mini for ya and people that will go with you to look at them.

Haha! exactly!!! :lol: ..that's exactly it, I've always wanted one, if I don't get one now I probably never will.
Getting away from the nuts, bolts and rust of the matter for a minute, It's the same with anything....
You may regret something you did for a little while...........but you'll regret something you didn't do forever :wink: .

The very worst case scenario is it might turn out after a while that a mini isn't for you, but you won't be the 1st.
The difference between a mini and a morgage in this country is that you can sell the mini again for the same money you paid for it :lol: :lol:

So if it's something you've always wanted, feck it, life is to short, go for it!
Tony Cooney
NON Member
What Minis have you?: 1992 Mini City

Post by Tony Cooney »

minis24se7en wrote: Getting away from the nuts, bolts and rust of the matter for a minute, It's the same with anything....
You may regret something you did for a little while...........but you'll regret something you didn't do forever :wink: .

The very worst case scenario is it might turn out after a while that a mini isn't for you, but you won't be the 1st.
The difference between a mini and a morgage in this country is that you can sell the mini again for the same money you paid for it :lol: :lol:

So if it's something you've always wanted, feck it, life is to short, go for it!

Possibly the best bit of 'advice' so far.............. :wink:
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

Thanks minis24 7! Yeah, yous have been so helpful here, I really appreciate it!
I love what you said..
"You may regret something you did for a little while...........but you'll regret something you didn't do forever"
..it's so true! ..and as you say, I could sell it for the same price if it didn't suit me. I think I'll have to come to you next time I need advice, you put everything into perspective, honestly, you're so right! thanks! :)
crl
NON Member
Whats your location?: Spain
Region: Aboard
What Minis have you?: 1999 Mpi
Modifications: None, Could do with Cold Air Though.

Post by crl »

Often the question comes up are minis reliable and a good car, well, I have driven mine from Dublin to Tarifa in the south of Spain, the southernmost point in Europe in the last two months, just 8 miles from Morocco.

All that has gone wrong with it is an incorrectly fitted water pump, every thing else has been fine!

here is the route / so far.

http://goo.gl/maps/Uglj
bsmythyjr
NON Member

Post by bsmythyjr »

on the insurance point i m on my own policy learner still fully comp young driver below 25 which is the age when its makes a difference so we would be the same and i have a 2001 mini cooper sport 1.3 value 7-9,000 and got insurance for 1,600 and 1350 when i get my full.
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

Hi crl, that's amazing you travelled all that distance. I can't even imagine driving so many miles in my lifetime! I know, that's one thing you'd be thinking of, how reliable it is, so that's impressive!
bsmythjr, that's really high insurance :shock: it really is.
..well, I'm still looking for a car but I'm thinking I'll just get another car for the moment, until I get the hang of driving. I feel bad after everyone being so helpful here, giving me advice, but I'm determined to get a mini after maybe a few months, when hopefully I'll be a lot more comfortable on the road!