Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Advice - Mini as a first car?

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

red mini
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern

Advice - Mini as a first car?

Post by red mini »

Hi! I'm just learning to drive, I've always loved mini's and I'd love to get one but people keep putting me off, saying I'd be better off getting a modern car, a mini might be harder to drive and I'd end up spending money on repairs etc. What do you think.. is there a big difference in driving an old style mini to a modern car, and do they require a lot of servicing.. I'd be thinking of getting a more recent one, from 98. Thanks for any advice!

spud1979
Comittee Member
Whats your location?: wexford
What Minis have you?: 1961 Morris Mini mk1
1961 Morris Irish Van
1969 Austin Mini irish mk2
1973 Clubman estate
1980 Clubman GT

Re: Advice - Mini as a first car?

Post by spud1979 »

When I first could afford a car of my own I bought a mini, best buy ever. It was 1991 back in 1998. Used it every day and never had a bother with it once. Only regret was I sold it in 2002 to get a bigger car. I think mini is a great first car for anyone. Cheap on juice and tax. Most r ok, but replacement parts are not too expensive yet to buy. You will never have as much fun in any other car. Downside not great for love life, not much room :)
joeyfinneran
NON Member
Whats your location?: roscommon
Region: Western

Post by joeyfinneran »

Great first car :D
Easy park
Easy drive
Easy get use to
Hard on the arms in parking but ur toneing up so its all good :lol:
Easy on juice ? Depends on how heavy ur right foot is :wink: mine pretty heavy :lol:
If you get a good mini there should be no repairs needed if you buy a car on the cheap youll expect problems (obvious really same with any car)
998 would be better for insurance/tax, cost me 1275 cost me a arm and leg but iv never looked back :D never gona get rid of it might try and get burried in it :lol:
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

Thanks spud, good to know you didn't have any trouble with it, I just keep thinking for some reason, that they need regular care or servicing, but I suppose if I get a later one in good condition, hopefully it won't be a problem. Oh, so that's the only downside is it? haha!
and thanks Joey, you're convincing me to just go ahead and get one! That's the thing though, why is it that you see mostly guys driving them? Are they hard on the arms, as you say? ...I remember reading somewhere that they're like go-carts to drive! So they come in 1L not just 1.3L, I'll have to look them up, not many for sale at moment, I was looking them up a while back and there seemed to be a lot more for sale. Yeah, I think if I had one I'd want to be buried in it too! haha! :D ..they're the cutest things! ..thanks for your help!
joeyfinneran
NON Member

Post by joeyfinneran »

Downside with late models is insureance a 1.3 injection you'd have to sell the house to insure it :lol:
They come in a 850 cc and then the skys the limit there a car in te US wit 330 BHP :shock:
Look on dondeal there seems to be alot poping up there lately!
The reason why there was so many a few years ago because of mini 50 and the prices were stupid and the prices are much better now. The go-kart driving is realted to the 10" wheels but iv 13's and they feel good on the road! Theres so many minis out there and if your willing to pay you can get a realy good car ! If you had the money if u want a rust free mini a jap import would be your best bet bet once again they seem to be alot of late models
minis24se7en
NON Member
Whats your location?: Mayo.

Post by minis24se7en »

The later minis with factory 13" wheels have a shorter steering lock. Can be a bit heavier on the steering when parking as opposed to slightly earlier minis on 12's.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Being absolutely blunt about it, all Minis rust as unlike modern cars, they were never galvanised. Bearing in mind that they were designed in the late 1950s, creature comforts leave a lot to be desired. And finally, they are not as reliable as modern cars, you won't get a warranty and if you can't do most of the work yourself, you will be getting very friendly with your local mechanic, and that's only if he'll work on a Mini. you'll notice that most of the posters here are lads and they've all put up requests for technical info at some stage. If getting your hands dirty is your thing, then definitely buy a Mini.

Before you make a decision, and possibly regret it afterwards, come along to one of the many runs and shows that the club takes parts in. Get to know a few Mini owners and take a test drive of one. The more you can learn about them before you purchase, the better. But don't forget that the newest one will be 12 years old and will be a 1.3 as they stopped making 1-litre Minis 20 years ago.
Jason79
NON Member
Whats your location?: -

Post by Jason79 »

As Eamon Fahey said to me when i first bought my mini as a first car never Under-estim-ate a Mini, i dont think i understood what it ment at the time, but i sure do now!

Jason
mini_sprite94
NON Member
Whats your location?: just out side Mitchlestown.
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1995 Mini Sprite, Elmo.

Post by mini_sprite94 »

My wife had to bribe me to learn to drive, with a mini, and I loved it, was a great car to learn in, mine was a 1.3l 95 mini. you do learn more about the workings of a car like a mini because you dont need a laptop to fix things :)
the stearing isn't a bad thing, my driving instructor knew I had a mini when he saw how I turned the wheel, doing a 3 point turn, he said he could spot I'd learned to drive without power steering the way I pulled into the first turn, turning the wheel before I came to a stop.

my advice, look at a mini, see how the size suits you, and look at other cars too.
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

Thanks Joey, yeah, I just see that now, all the later models are 1.3L ..would I not be better off getting a later one though, I read they're not as noisy and they have airbags, and not being as old, probably more reliable?
I don't know. Yeah, I've seen a couple of Japanese imports on the internet, they always say rust free.

So, the later minis have the wider wheels.. I think I should really have a go at driving one first.

Billy, thanks for you advice, I think you're putting me off getting one though.. I'm a girl and wouldn't have a clue about the mechanics :) ...

Yeah, I had a feeling that was why most Minis I see have guys driving them!
So, you'd say they do need to be serviced/fixed a lot.. I suppose it depends, you could be lucky with the car you get. I went to see a mini show in Mondello racecourse about 2 or 3 years ago, it was amazing seeing hundreds of minis! ..I didn't talk to any mini owners though, that's my problem! :?

Jason, what do you mean by never underestimate a mini, do you mean that in a good way? :)

Sprite, yeah, someone told me it's a great car to learn to drive in.. that's why I'm so confused, different opinions!

You don't have to be big and strong to drive one do you, I won't be wrecked after driving, would I?
I'm afraid my driving instructor will think I'm crazy if she pulls up and sees a mini parked outside! :D
Tony Cooney
NON Member
What Minis have you?: 1992 Mini City

Post by Tony Cooney »

Hi Red Mini,

There are dozens of female members in the club so Minis are not just for fellas!

If I were you, I'd come along to some of the shows over the summer (Terenure is on sun 8th July) and get chatting to us at the club stand.
You could sit into some of the Minis and get a feel for what they are like.

Regarding the steering, they are not that heavy really. The fact that you are begining to drive then you won't know any difference and learning to drive in a Mini will stand to you.

Don't give up at this early stage!!!

Tony
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

Thanks Tony, that's great, I'll definitely go to that! Yeah, I'd love to even just sit in one, I'm sure I'll fall in love with them even more! I think then the only thing putting me off getting one would be if I had to spend lots more if it needs to be serviced regularly. ..thanks again for the advice! :)
Goose
NON Member

Post by Goose »

All cars should really be serviced regularly anyway but most Mini owners I know like to service the car more regularly just for peace of mind and to keep their pride and joy up to top standard. :D

The parts for Minis arent that expensive really and a regular oil/oil filter/Air filter/Fanbelt/ Spark plug service would only cost in and around €60 for parts. My advice is to get your hands on a Haynes Manual and join a club like this. The Haynes manual will help you do the small things starting off, and most of the club members are happy to help out other local members when they can in relation to more difficult stuff.

I have noticed lately, and hopefully just in my area (but I doubt it) that Minis and other small cars are being targeted for vandalism. In the last 2 years I have seen Mini's overturned, people running over them, jumping up and down on roofs, kicking mirrors off, throwing bottles etc. Other owners have experienced similar issues and its quite sickening when it happens because there is often little to no justice. This is not specific to Minis I know.......but they do draw attention.

I am not trying to put you off Minis. I absolutely love mine and will never part with it. But just beware that Minis attract attention....good.....and bad.
And I said, Officer, I didn't want to be drunk in public...I wanna be drunk in the bar. Now last time I checked it was still legal to be drunk in the bar. They threw me into public...arrest them!

mini_sprite94
NON Member
Whats your location?: just out side Mitchlestown.
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1995 Mini Sprite, Elmo.

Post by mini_sprite94 »

that can be a problem, but you can have ayaris and have its lights kicked in too. just dont park it in a student rich location, someone is going to have the "lets pick it up and move it" idea.
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

Thanks Goose. Yeah, I would definitely get a Haynes manual, hopefully I'd be able to learn how to do a few of the basics :? I was trying to look up how to prevent rust.. I read there are different waxes you can coat them with, I wouldn't have it in a garage, maybe a lot of mini owners keep theirs in garages.
That's horrible to think people would vandalise a car like that. It must be heartbreaking for that to happen. I hadn't thought about that. I'd have to be careful where I park it, but I suppose it could happen anywhere. Yeah, I'm thinking I'll just go for it, I'll read up on how to look after them and start looking for my mini! :)
CLUBMANGT
NON Member
Whats your location?: Leopardstown
What Minis have you?: 86 Mayfair 1000GT
Modifications: 1275 and bar the shell and subframes new everything!! IMOC MEMBER

Post by CLUBMANGT »

Where in Dublin are you located :?: you should come to the show in Terenure and talk to the club members and as you said have a sit in one and see what you think :wink:
ALL YOU NEED IS POWER AND LOADS OF IT!!!
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

I'm in Dublin 12 so Terenure is handy to get to, it's in Terenure College?.. yeah, I'll definitely go ...looking forward to it! :)
spud1979
Comittee Member
1961 Morris Irish Van
1973 Clubman estate
1980 Clubman GT

Post by spud1979 »

Very reasonable 2000 mini on donedeal now. Suit you for insurance
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

Thanks Spud. Yeah, it's very nice! Not sure if I like the bucket seats, that's just me being fussy though, otherwise it's lovely! I might enquire if it has it's NCT, and I wonder if it has any rust. It's in Kerry though, but yeah, it's very cheap and it looks lovely!
spud1979
Comittee Member
1961 Morris Irish Van
1973 Clubman estate
1980 Clubman GT

Post by spud1979 »

There is one in Dublin for 2k. Sorry I can't put up link, I'm on my phone
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

Is it the 1990 black mini for €2,800 it has video footage of it ... yeah it's only 1 litre, bet that's the one! yeah, it looks cool inside! :) I'd love a red or maybe green mini but I actually like the black! Only thing is, Iis there much of a difference in the noise.. I read the ones made after 97 or 98 are less noisy and they have airbags. This is me being fussy again, but it's a great looking mini and seems a very good price too! :)
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

Check with your insurance company to see if they will insure a learner driver on a car that is 22 years old, many companies only insure cars that are under 15 years old for younger drivers.

THe later Minis do have airbags and side impact bars.

Noise wise, there shouldn't be much difference, you will have more road noise inside the car if it is fitted with wide wheels, so for comfort/quietness/ease of driving avoid Minis with 13" wheels and stick to standard 12s.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
joeyfinneran
NON Member

Post by joeyfinneran »

The Marcos Graveyard wrote:Check with your insurance company to see if they will insure a learner driver on a car that is 22 years old, many companies only insure cars that are under 15 years old for younger drivers.

THe later Minis do have airbags and side impact bars.

Noise wise, there shouldn't be much difference, you will have more road noise inside the car if it is fitted with wide wheels, so for comfort/quietness/ease of driving avoid Minis with 13" wheels and stick to standard 12s.
True about the insurance my brooker found it very hard to insure me on a 19 year old car she said if it was a year older i hadnt a hope

And if you want less noise you could get a standard exhaust as there less noisy (i could be wrong there)
And the 13 are not only loud as TMG said there also sore on the bum :lol:
If i went near 70mph on the 13s everything started to fizz and vibrate and the other day i got much higher :wink: (wont say for legal reasons :lol: ) there wasnt any noise other than the exhaust and the passenger :lol:
red mini
NON Member

Post by red mini »

Thanks Marcos, that's exactly what I just did now, and I think you're right.. when I try to get an online quote for the 1990 mini it says "unable to offer you a quote you quote at this time" ...so I emailed them to see what the story is.. but it gave me quote for a 98 mini so maybe that makes up my mind for me, I'll just get a later one! :)
How will I know which ones have 12" as opposed to 13" wheels? ..sorry, I'm trying to find out myself but can't find it! :?
spud1979
Comittee Member
1961 Morris Irish Van
1973 Clubman estate
1980 Clubman GT

Post by spud1979 »

No there is a 2000 mini in Dublin on it