Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Project BIG: 2 minis at the same time...

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

bluesteel
NON Member
Whats your location?: Clare
Region: Western

Project BIG: 2 minis at the same time...

Post by bluesteel »

So my Dad and I started work on two Minis about 2months ago, we're hoping to have them done for Mondello (probably shouldn't be on this right now, still a lot to do!) Here's a few pictures of the before and how they are looking right now.
One is a Red 91 Mayfair, and the other is going to be a White/Black/Carbon Fibre/with-some-nice-graphics 1980 one. As I write, both shells are sprayed, one set of doors, bonnet, boot are sprayed, 1 and a half cars are on wheels.... but the pictures will say more! If we manage to get these cars done in time for Mondello, I think we deserve a cup of tea! Enjoy the pictures so far! Any ideas or comments would be cool!

David

This is the Red Mini, stripped and engine has been dropped at this stage... we thought it would just need a re-spray. We were wrong.. It needed 2 new sills, new front floor, steps needed to be repaired, the boot was full of holes, scuttle panel had to be repaired.. the metal work list was endless!

We exposed and treated all rust with Jenolite and Deox gel, comes up nice and shiny

This is the car turned the first time, subframes are still on..

Sills and front floor piece were completely rotten, so new ones needed

We cut out the rust, treated what was salvageable, welded and sealed..

Engine & front subframe dropped.. Red car and purple subframes?

"Special Purple" Unique colour on the engine here!

So next comes the white Mini. It needed a new front panel, new rear valence, new sill, and new front floor piece on the drivers side. We bought the shell, and a donor Mini for it, so everything needed to be taken out... Wiring loom, pedals, etc. So here it comes..

The Donor mini, great engine it, but shocking body! Engine dropped and work started on stripping the rest..

Underfloor of Mini 2.. welded sealed and sprayed with a mix of Lowe Rust Primer red and white paint

So the two minis are at the same stage. They both have their respective underfloors finished. Sprayed White & Red. Nice.

The gold/yellow is a barrier coat.

And the other...

So the priming begins!

Gravitex has been sprayed in the boot, underfloor, and under the arches aswell.

Bitta paint... Its Mazda Red with a bit of white..

And the other... Ford Diamond White..

Red doors ready for painting

Wiring loom fitted to White Mini

Front Subframe assembled for the White Mini

And in the car...

New headlining for the red car... Lot of clothes pegs, clips, glue.

Rebuilding the Red Mini...

How the red mini looks at the moment. Subframes in, Rear glass in, the engine isn't in yet, waiting for new Core/Frost plugs. Minisport sent us out the wrong ones. Need 8.

All engine bits are being cleaned, polished, painted and dried with a hairdryer!

So that's more or less it for the moment. Red mini has its dash rails in, must make the brake pipes, put steering column in, petrol tank, speaker wire... The White one needs pedal box, rear subframe fitted, engine fitted, spray the alloys, shocks, stripes, must do the carbon fibre vinyl.... Must do the lights, sort the brakes, exhaust.... Ok long list, must go!

Actually, I'd say we'd need a muffin with that tea if we get them done! I'll keep ye posted!

When did I know I wanted to become a farmer? Good question. I suppose it was just a feeling I had from my head tomatoes.
daniel garry
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
What Minis have you?: 1996 BRG mayfair 1275 auto-lyin up now
1990 1l city-daily driver
1993 cooper spi-completly stripped and upside down!
the long term project(advantage) courtesy of mr skelly!!
rotten shell-found a floor repair panel in the boot tho!

Re: Project BIG: 2 minis at the same time...

Post by daniel garry »

wow, thats great work there! gonna miss mondello so il not get to see these.. fair play with the work ye done
benfox1515
NON Member

Post by benfox1515 »

Excellent work man! Deserve a gallon of tea and a pack of dunkable choc digestives
Kenneth Murphy
NON Member
Whats your location?: knockbine
tullycanna
ballymitty
co. wexford.
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1972 pick up
1979 leyland
88 designer

Post by Kenneth Murphy »

cant wait to see the whiteone, bring back memories of my old colour scheme,
................................FOUNDER OF HILLBILLY ENGINEERING.................................
FROM THIS TO THISImage
CLUBMANGT
NON Member
Whats your location?: Leopardstown
What Minis have you?: 86 Mayfair 1000GT
Modifications: 1275 and bar the shell and subframes new everything!! IMOC MEMBER

Post by CLUBMANGT »

:shock: :!: very well done sweet motors :mrgreen:
ALL YOU NEED IS POWER AND LOADS OF IT!!!
bluesteel
NON Member

Post by bluesteel »

Thanks for the comments! :)

Well, things are looking fairly tight at the moment... the radios might have to be left out!
When did I know I wanted to become a farmer? Good question. I suppose it was just a feeling I had from my head tomatoes.
CLUBMANGT
NON Member
Whats your location?: Leopardstown
What Minis have you?: 86 Mayfair 1000GT
Modifications: 1275 and bar the shell and subframes new everything!! IMOC MEMBER

Post by CLUBMANGT »

A well :roll: you still put me to shame anyway, I must get my finger out :? By the way thats a nice shop you have there :wink:
ALL YOU NEED IS POWER AND LOADS OF IT!!!
bluesteel
NON Member

Post by bluesteel »

So we'll have the Red mini for Sunday as well as my Blue one.. the White one is very close, but we dont want to rush it and end up making a mess of it! That and I actually think we'd drop if we did any more work! 8am to 2am yesterday :shock: When its done for the next show, the white one will have twin hs2s, carbon fibre covered bumpers and bonnet stripes, black interior & red carpet, black alloys, black roof, carbon arches, and black superhero graphics along the side. It'll look good :wink:

Anyways, I'll put up pictures after the show (don't want to ruin the surprise... :lol: ) but the Red mini just has to have its seats bolted in, side indicators on, bleed the brakes, and put on the back bumper! Sorted! Oh and a quick polish!

(oh the garage is actually built for dad's coaches & buses, Lyons Travel dot com just in case... :wink: but it's currently housing the 2 minis, my blue one and an MG A!)

See everybody Sunday,
David
bluesteel
NON Member

Post by bluesteel »

So we both had to leave the minis due to college and dad's job. But here's what they finished up as...

Once May comes, we can start work on them again! They're currently under covers in the garage to mind 'em! They both are finished, but there's always little things to do!!

David.
Scoobasteve7
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: West Cork
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1983 Mini City E

Post by Scoobasteve7 »

Beautiful work on both cars. :)

Looking forward to reading any future updates on these cars and any other projects you guys do! :)