Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Suspension set-up question

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

seanos
NON Member
Whats your location?: Firhouse
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: '90 mini 998cc
Modifications: Straight through exhaust, bucket seats stage 1, 12x6 matt black revo's, matt black paint job(work in progress)

Suspension set-up question

Post by seanos »

I am planning on changing a few bits on my suspension

Adj. Bottom Arms
Adj. Tie Rods
Poly Bushing all round
Rubber Donuts

My question is, Would I benefit from upgrading to springs instead of rubber donuts?
There is only £30 in the difference, will i notice the difference on the road?
Will it make the car more comfortable?

Also, while I'm at it, is there anything else I should replace, I recently installed hi-los and a set of Koni Shocks?

ImageImage
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Re: Suspension set-up question

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

If it's comfort you are after then you need the Moulton Smooth-a-ride set up.

You wont need any of the adjustable stuff either.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
Dylan8660
NON Member

Post by Dylan8660 »

Springs are more comfortable and do make a noticeable difference on the road, but you also get a little bit more body roll. You need to know what you want from your set up and how your car's used and on what type of road. Rubber has a greater inertia than springs and will also react slower but the rubber gives the stiffness in the corners for the go-kart style drive. Rubber also deteriorates and will need replacing at regular intervals. Springs will re-act quicker and the wheels will be in contact with the ground more which is important for handling and braking, they don't deteriorate and you can use adjustable shocks and roll bars to stiffen things up if neccesary.
Politics is just cheap television.
seanos
NON Member
Modifications: Straight through exhaust, bucket seats stage 1, 12x6 matt black revo's, matt black paint job(work in progress)

Post by seanos »

Dylan8660 wrote:Springs are more comfortable and do make a noticeable difference on the road, but you also get a little bit more body roll. You need to know what you want from your set up and how your car's used and on what type of road. Rubber has a greater inertia than springs and will also react slower but the rubber gives the stiffness in the corners for the go-kart style drive. Rubber also deteriorates and will need replacing at regular intervals. Springs will re-act quicker and the wheels will be in contact with the ground more which is important for handling and braking, they don't deteriorate and you can use adjustable shocks and roll bars to stiffen things up if neccesary.

Thanks for that man, some good advise there!

The car is a 90, as far as I know the rubbers have never been replaced, should i do this now given the car is 21 years old?
ImageImage
Dylan8660
NON Member

Post by Dylan8660 »

They could probably do with being refreshed. I'm biased due to making the change myself but I always thought the rubber was a bit horse and cart so I went for modernisation.
Politics is just cheap television.
seanos
NON Member

Post by seanos »

being biased is a good thing, it shows the change was a good move and not a step back in terms of getting the car to feel more comfortable for daily driving.
ImageImage