Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Mini 1275GT very sick

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

tigert100p
NON Member

Mini 1275GT very sick

Post by tigert100p »

Hi folks, I'm new to this game so be patient with me. Have a 1980 GT, original Dublin car. Was running fine last summer but then laid up for a few months. When I fired it up recently it was only running on 2 cylinders. Have changed plugs,dizzy, rotor arm and leads. No joy. Then replaced head gasket...and now it runs on the OTHER TWO cylinders. Compression seems fine, (was rebored at some stage to plus 20's, no discernable air leaks. Pulling my hair out at this stage. Any mechanical gurus out there with advice.
Mke H.

DaveC
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern

Post by DaveC »

Welcome from a fellow 1980 GT owner! Not much advice for you as you seem to have tried everything, but somebody on here will be able to point you in the right direction
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

Is there a spark at the plugs of the 2 cylinders that aren't working ?

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
tigert100p
NON Member

Post by tigert100p »

How are yis ? Yep, sparking on all 4. Firing order correct also. Have a feeling it's something really simple and probably blindingly obvious...no doubt someone will tell me. I assume that if the vacuum advance wasn't working correctly it wouldn't have such a disasterous affect...or am I wrong ?
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
1984 Mini Sprite
Weber45

If you have a spark, then the problem is either fuel or pressure. Have you done a compression test ?

tigert100p
NON Member

Post by tigert100p »

If it was fuel I would have thought that it would affect all cylinders ??? Haven't done compression test yet...just borrowed a gauge, so hope to spend a day working on it in the next week or two. While I had the head off, I filled the bores with a light oil and left it for a few days. Level remained the same, so kidda ruled out sticking rings.
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
1984 Mini Sprite
Weber45

The engine just needs fuel, compression and then a spark to ignite the whole thing, if you have the spark, it has to be one of the other two, if the plugs are getting wet with petrol, then the problem has to be pressure related.

I presume it's missing on 2 and 3, is it ?

tigert100p
NON Member

Post by tigert100p »

Hello again. Running on 1 and 2 only.
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

How have you diagnoised which 2 cylinders its running on each time?
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Is it single or twin carb? Either way, are the plugs in the missing cylinders getting wet?

Billy
Merlin
NON Member
What Minis have you?: Mk1 Austin Mini,Mk3 Layland Mini,72Van,81 Clubman Estate, 87 Race carand a 2000 Rover Cooper.
Modifications: Mk1: 998 with flat top slipper pistons, 286 cam, 12G940 head 11:1 compression twin inch and a half SU's 5 speed gearbox. Mk3 998 automatic no mods, 72Van is a pile of rust, , Racer is being built but has the works and the 2000 rover cooper needs an engine again :(

Post by Merlin »

ok tigert100p, as the lads said it is a simple diagnoisis if you have a spark on the two cylinders that are not firing then its fuel or compression.
if you have compression then its fuel and if the engine is running on two cylinders its not the carb it has to be an inlet valve or a blocked inlet port after that your car has invented a new way to elimnate the fire triangle you should get on to the fire deparment and the patent office.
so do a compression test and get back to us.
Regards,
Good Look
Paul.
Mini Ha Ha
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Mini Ha Ha »

HAVE YOU CHECKED THAT THE POINTS ARE OPENING AT EACH LOBE OF THE DISTRIBUTOR CAM, IE THAT THE SHAFT IS NOT BENT.

ALSO ARE YOU CERTAIN THAT SOME HUMOURIST HAS NOT SWAPPED THE PLUG LEADS.

I MISSED WHETHER THE CAR HAS TWIN CARBS, IF SO WHEN IT IS RUNNING IS THE EXHAUST ON THE MISSING CLYINDER GETTING HOT OR IS IT STONE COLD

HOPE YOU ARE SUCCESSFUL

MINI HA HA
tigert100p
NON Member

Post by tigert100p »

Hi Mini haha, It's on a single SU. Points are bang on although I hadn't considered the possibility of a bent shaft in the distributor...more food for thought. have borrowed a compression tester and hope to dedicate a day to it next week. Mick.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

I had a similar problem with a bent shaft on a distributor earlier in the year on an old Triumph I have. For some reason we couldn't get spark to one cylinder despite points, lead and plug changes. No matter how many times you gapped the points, it would never give the same gap twice. A new distributor (thanks to Ebay) sorted it!

Billy
tigert100p
NON Member

Post by tigert100p »

CASE CLOSED>>>Changed the distributor and it ran ok. Can't see anything wrong with the old one tho. Now sold as I bought a bright YELLOW clubman from Trim (I'm sure you'll all know the car). have a 1275 from a 91 cooper which I eventually intend putting into it. Thanks for all the advice. Mike.
Merlin
NON Member
What Minis have you?: Mk1 Austin Mini,Mk3 Layland Mini,72Van,81 Clubman Estate, 87 Race carand a 2000 Rover Cooper.
Modifications: Mk1: 998 with flat top slipper pistons, 286 cam, 12G940 head 11:1 compression twin inch and a half SU's 5 speed gearbox. Mk3 998 automatic no mods, 72Van is a pile of rust, , Racer is being built but has the works and the 2000 rover cooper needs an engine again :(

Post by Merlin »

well done mike may she tide you well and never rust

aaaaggg MUCH