Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

parts stolen on mini

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

mad-mini
NON Member
Whats your location?: The Garden of Ireland, Co. Wicklow
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 59 Austin seven deluxe, 63 mk1 Riley elf, 65 Austin mini, 69 Morris mini minor, 73 Austin 850, 70 1275 cooper s, 82 Mini van, 84 mini 25.
Modifications: ALL IRISH CARS

parts stolen on mini

Post by mad-mini »

This topic has been locked to avoid any potential conflict.
We would be interested to hear if the issue gets resolved.

Tony Cooney
IMOC Committee

Hi everyone, Im just wondering if you leave your mini in to get work done on it and when you go to take the car out of the place where the work was ment to be done on the car to find parts missing off the car? :( eg. Distribitor unit with cap points etc, Plug leads, Coil. What do you do?

There was only one other person in the yard that had a mini that was geting work done on his mini and was looking for a distribitor and suddenly these parts go missing and all of a sudden he has his mini runing with a new distribitor. what do i do? how do i get these parts back?

Please some advise would be great. :)

Thanks

Regards
Steven

keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Re: parts stolen on mini

Post by keith »

if your car was un-modded there's a good chance that the distributor should be identifiable from the engine/model specs. coil & leads much less so.

the problem is though that the "other" mini could argue the case for having (potentially) a different, non-standard distributor. I'd take it up with garage/workshop. did you drive it in? clearly it would have needed those parts to get there!
Signature still awaiting top-coat and lacquer....
mad-mini
NON Member
What Minis have you?: 59 Austin seven deluxe, 63 mk1 Riley elf, 65 Austin mini, 69 Morris mini minor, 73 Austin 850, 70 1275 cooper s, 82 Mini van, 84 mini 25.

Post by mad-mini »

I dont think the distribitor was changed.

No the mini was trailered there because there is ramps on the road and the mini is too bloody low to go over them. I no where the parts are but i can go stright in to the lads yard and ask him to pull the bonnet on his mini so i can take my parts back. so what can i do?

He siad its not his problem.???
J145
NON Member

Post by J145 »

Surely if you believe the parts were stolen you should get the Guards involved?
DaveC
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Dublin

Post by DaveC »

If your car was in somewhere being worked on they have a responsibility for making sure that nothing is stolen off it while they are working on it.
Tell the garage the stuff was on the car when you left it in and you want it replaced or you will notify the guards.
You have obviously spoken to the other Mini owner about it if he said "it's not his problem". Next time you see him tell him you have reported the theft to the guards. You can't really accuse him without proof
keith
NON Member

Post by keith »

yes, if you spoke to the garage owner and he is avoiding his responsibilities i'd go to the guards. - that's called Theft. your conflict lies with the garage owner, not the other mini, *if* your car was on his property. if it was on the public road, then the other mini owner could be involved. either way, contact the guards.
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

Why are you assuming that the other Mini owner took the parts ?

Your car is not the only source of distributors in the world.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
D.M.G.T
NON Member
Whats your location?: Lismoy
Newtownforbes
Region: Western

Post by D.M.G.T »

have you paid the person that the the work? + could you ghive any names here so the rest of us can still well clear.name and shame :D
keith
NON Member

Post by keith »

D.M.G.T wrote:have you paid the person that the the work? + could you ghive any names here so the rest of us can still well clear.name and shame :D
please don't name anyone or any business in a forum accusing them of theft, based on conjecture and supposition. way things are, people are innocent until *proven* otherwise and everyone is entitled to their good name unless a *court* decides otherwise. - no sense in putting the website/club at risk over this, infuriating as it is.
mad-mini
NON Member

Post by mad-mini »

Im not nameing and shameing anyone.

The owner of the garage siadits not his problem that some one took the parts of the mini. Im live in a small village and there are only two other people that has minis and we alll no if some one wanted to have a lend of something we would lend them to that person if we knew them. The lad that own's the other mini couldnt get the timing right on the car he tryed everything, he got a lend of carbs of me and siad had i got a lend of a distribitor because he thinks that is the problem and i siad i dont have any spare one's. he spoke to 1 of the other lads in the village about geting one but when Willie rang him on a friday evening he siad he had got one that day. I collected the mini on saturday morning and my distribitor was stolen and leads and coil. Some one has tryed to take the carb of but opened the nuts but vouldnt get it off the car, but i still have the carb.

There was no one else that knew that my minis were in that yard only me and the other mini owner.

So by right i have to let the gaurds sort it out??

Steven
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Steven,

Unless you are looking for people here to justify some sort of vigilante action, you have to consider going to the Guards.

Billy
dylanb
NON Member
Whats your location?: cork.
Region: Southern

Post by dylanb »

hey lad you should go to the guards about it,and if you find out for sure that he has your parts name and shame him and the garage..

if it was me and i found out who the parson was that stole parts of my mini i would break both there hands,that way it would be a while before they could do it again... :lol: :lol:

let us know the outcome....
briain
NON Member
Whats your location?: Glenageary, South Dublin

Post by briain »

Think its good advice what people have said above. If you were paying for work to be done then its completly the garages problem regardless of who is responsible you need to bring the guards in and maybe keep the administrators of this club in the loop if the person responsible is a member of this club so they can make sure it doesnt happen to anyone else. Either way I'd close this thread until you have some form of resolution.