Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Non working indicators and car not wanting to stop when told

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

StanO'Toole
NON Member
Whats your location?: South Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1995 Mini Mayfair
1994 Mini Sprite

Non working indicators and car not wanting to stop when told

Post by StanO'Toole »

On the way home from work and about 10minutes ago my indicators and hazords decided they wanted no more! Is there and relay/fuse for these? And if so were are they located?

Also, only sometimes when I turn off the Mini its like it wants to keep going.... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Getting old is a must but growing up is optional!

StanO'Toole :mrgreen:
StanO'Toole
NON Member
Whats your location?: South Dublin
What Minis have you?: 1995 Mini Mayfair
1994 Mini Sprite

Re: Non working indicators and car not wanting to stop when

Post by StanO'Toole »

Went searching for the fault with the indicators and couldn't find anything! There is one fuses under the steering whell which I checked, the fuse board under the bonnet, two relays on the right hand side top corner of the engine bay and one in the top left....

There was something bolted to the steering colunm with with two wires going into it which I couldn't get at?
Getting old is a must but growing up is optional!

StanO'Toole :mrgreen:
mustard
NON Member
What Minis have you?: 97 rover cooper sportspack, a bloody metro and MY 61 mini van

Post by mustard »

Try changing the hazzard switch... My old car did the same and the fault was the hazzard switch...

Might help might not...:p
If ya can't fix it with a hammer, its an electrical problem!

J & A Commercials and Auto Repairs ltd.
From Minis to Trucks, everything and anything
Clondalkin Dublin 22
Contact Mick: 0868526492 or 014578687
CLUBMANGT
NON Member
Whats your location?: Leopardstown
What Minis have you?: 86 Mayfair 1000GT
Modifications: 1275 and bar the shell and subframes new everything!! IMOC MEMBER

Post by CLUBMANGT »

As Paul said its often the hazzard switch at fault.
ALL YOU NEED IS POWER AND LOADS OF IT!!!
dlampkin
NON Member
Whats your location?: Limerick
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: '94 Mini 35

Post by dlampkin »

On the later cars with the combined flasher relay, the hazard switch won't affect the indicators (unless it shorts inside, causing both sides to come on when you indicate :p ). You can remove it altogether and it won't affect your indicators, whereas on the earlier cars, the bottom two pins on the hazard switch are closed when the switch is off, allowing power to go to the indicator relay. With the combined relay, these pins aren't connected to anything. I think the changeover was around '92.

It's also worth converting this flasher relay to an electronic variety while you're working on the indicators, ask any scrapyard for a 90's Fiesta flasher unit. The unit is bolted to the bottom dash rail above the steering column, and looks like a regular black relay except it has 3 pins. My local scrapyard gave it to me for nothing!

The fuse for the indicators is a 10A line fuse in the n/s side of the engine bay, in or around the pair of relays on the bulkhead you found. It should be in a bundle of four fuses, and they're probably tucked up under the scuttle. My Mini had this problem when I got it, except the fuse itself was fine, it was just a loose connection around the fuse holder, so I replaced the four line fuses with a block of blade fuses :p

As for your problems turning the car off, it's probably running on. Mine does this if it's running a bit rich or after a long motorway spin if it's a bit hot. You can get anti-run on valves to stop this (I think the later Coopers came with them actually), but usually it means your carb is out of tune. It can also be a sign that your timing is out.
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

What he said, the inline fuse has a purple/orange wire coming out of it.

Is the engine running hot maybe too lean or timing way off.Have you changed type of sparkplug?
TECHNICAL MODERATOR