Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Classic Car Insurance

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

jpcos
NON Member
Whats your location?: kerry
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1986 mini mayfair

Classic Car Insurance

Post by jpcos »

Hey,
I currently own a 1986 mayfair with the standard 998 engine and was thinking of going down the turbo route but i want to see would it cost much to insure first. I was wondering would i be able to get classic car insurance even though im only 21 and would it cost much to insure a 998 turbo properly. I currently have a full licence and have commercial insrance policy with quinn.

macker
NON Member
Whats your location?: THE FRIDGE
Region: Aboard
What Minis have you?: 110bhp 1968 mkII
Modifications: NEW Custom flakey paint

Re: Classic Car Insurance

Post by macker »

i think with just about all classic insurance policies you must be 25 or older to have one
ImageImageImage
purplehaze
NON Member
Whats your location?: Tallaght :p
What Minis have you?: 1980 clubman b16 vtec
1992 mini shell, getting turbo,d
1974 clubman estate
Modifications: original-ish pffffft ye rite

Post by purplehaze »

im 24 with full licence and am with carole nash :) 600 euro for two 84 mayfair and my bro as named drivers on both, and he;s provisional. they f****d up so they had t insure me, and dats fully comp for 5000 thousand miles a year with 5 break downs each car, i think they do young drivers too so give them a try, im very happy with em, had everything out to me in 1 day :) try them
If it's bigger than a mini it's not a mini
miniball
NON Member
Whats your location?: glasnevin dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1977 clubman
1991 sprite

Post by miniball »

jpcos wrote:Hey,
I currently own a 1986 mayfair with the standard 998 engine and was thinking of going down the turbo route but i want to see would it cost much to insure first. I was wondering would i be able to get classic car insurance even though im only 21 and would it cost much to insure a 998 turbo properly. I currently have a full licence and have commercial insrance policy with quinn.

First ireland in parkgate street.once you have another vehicle insured they do 4000 miles fully comp with up to 5 named drivers for €270 and €50 each to insure any other classic you have and all can be driven at the same time by your named drivers.the milage can be raised at any stage.linda is the girl i deal with shes very helpful. even if the car is not quite 20 years old they may still see it as a classic.
jpcos
NON Member
Whats your location?: kerry
What Minis have you?: 1986 mini mayfair

Post by jpcos »

Cheers for the replies. I might give that first ireland crowd a buzz tomorow and see what they say. Im in no panic for insurance but i was just wondering could i actually get classic insurance when i was under 25 and if it would cost a fortune to insure a 998 turbo because they dont exactly like when you start mentioning parts you have added that arent standard. Dont want to have finished my mini and then it turns out i cant get insured or else end up costing me a fortune to insure.