Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

help needed with rust

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

patrick1
NON Member
Whats your location?: dublin 15
Region: Eastern

help needed with rust

Post by patrick1 »

how hard a job would it be to repair some small patches of rust around headlights
what steps would i need to follow to prepare for painting

StanO'Toole
NON Member
Whats your location?: South Dublin
What Minis have you?: 1995 Mini Mayfair
1994 Mini Sprite

Re: help needed with rust

Post by StanO'Toole »

How handy are you with a welder? What sort of 'slight rust' are we talking here? :mrgreen:

And welcome to the forum :mrgreen:
Getting old is a must but growing up is optional!

StanO'Toole :mrgreen:
Goose
NON Member

Post by Goose »

First thing you will need to do is strip the area affected back to metal. This will give you a better idea of how bad the rust is. Small bubbles in paint can hide a lot of rust underneath.

In relation to around the headlights, most of the rust comes from inside the wing and works its way out through the seam in the panels.

Depending on how bad the rust is, it may be possible to cut out the rotten steel and weld in a new patch. If the rust is severe it may result in replacing either the wing or the front panel ( bare in mind repair panels for around the lights are also available so the whole panel may not have to be replaced )

It all depends on how bad it is........pop up some pics if you get a chance.....but ideally you should strip it back to bare metal to see the extent of rot.

I would suggest sealing the inside of the wing when the new metal is in.......something similar to underseal would do the job nicely and will slow if not prevent any rust coming through the seam in future. Will be tackling a lot of rust on my car over the next few weeks.
And I said, Officer, I didn't want to be drunk in public...I wanna be drunk in the bar. Now last time I checked it was still legal to be drunk in the bar. They threw me into public...arrest them!

patrick1
NON Member
Whats your location?: dublin 15

Post by patrick1 »

its only a bit along the seams, i dont think its that deep only surface rust
i will try put up some photos later