Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

cheap electronic ignition

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

just_st3v3n
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
Region: Northern
What Minis have you?: 1989 red mayfair aka project nancy
Modifications: Nancy is deseamed and will be getting some sort of modern engine someday

cheap electronic ignition

Post by just_st3v3n »

hi guys found this link on the miniresource site
http://www.mm-4x4.com/britpart-electron ... 2721-p.asp
basicly its a cheap version of electronic ignition so you dont have to deal with points dwell and what not anymore...
i ordered mine last week just because its so cheap and the car wasnt running great anyway and after reading through these posts too http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/in ... opic=85447
anyway got it today and installed it earlier on, quite straight forward job (even for me :mrgreen: ) after a little fiddling with the timing and setting it right got it running nice and sweet even on the first test run... <---- which is all i had time for really, bed time :P
il keep updated on how its running, wendsday should be a nice little test for it as i have to go to dundalk and back (applying for welding course :D)
just thought some of you might fancy it....
any questions about it or if you want to share some knowledge on the subject feel free to ask or add...

(i ordered two by the way just in case one broke or whatever + there not that expensive..

steven

The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Re: cheap electronic ignition

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

Looks interesting, cheap as chips too.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
clubman
NON Member

Post by clubman »

hi steven
just wondering will it fit any mini distribitor, myself and joeb1 were only talking about it at the weekend as me and jason have points in our clubmans would be great if it works in all
just_st3v3n
NON Member
Modifications: Nancy is deseamed and will be getting some sort of modern engine someday

Post by just_st3v3n »

im not to sure, it fitted my 45d (something) distributor and think that particular one is just for that car carb but if you read down through the second link i gave you http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/in ... opic=85447 somewhere in there someone was asking if there was an elcetronic unit for the 25d distributor (older type) not sure what distributor you have lads....?
il let you know tomoro evening if its really any use for driving. (headin dundalk)
but i have to say there is definately a good difference in the engine and seems to run alot smoother imo even while my carb isnt the biz at the minute :?
clubman
NON Member

Post by clubman »

thats ok steven will check in with ya tomorrow thanks
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Its not much dearer than a set of points,condensor and rotor so worth a try.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
just_st3v3n
NON Member

Post by just_st3v3n »

well arrived home safe and sound and without any problems.........
just in case i had a second set of the elec ignition which will be stayin in the car just to be sure it doesnt fail on me in the middle of nowhere or whatever....
have to say im well impressed with it... car pulls and drives alot smoother than before, well worth the 7 pound ort whatever it was :mrgreen:
just_st3v3n
NON Member

Post by just_st3v3n »

dont know whether anyone else has tried this yet but im still backing it.. driving up and down to kells from cavan (50 kms) every day and its doing the right job its meant too ... :lol:
clubman
NON Member

Post by clubman »

hi steven

got one of those electronic ignitions before xmas so the other day the mini wasnt running that good i took it that the points were sticking or pitted, so decided to put in the module it wasnt hard to fit and put all back together. it started fine and reved ok but once i took foot of accelerator it would not rev again. so ended up having to put the old points back in to keep me going.

any suggestions

thanks

peter
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Resurected this old post as I was talking to somebody about it at the autojumble.
How is it working for people who installed it some time ago?
Checked the link to miniforum and it seems people are happy with it.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
just_st3v3n
NON Member

Post by just_st3v3n »

yea it's doing the job on my mini so far and has done well on a different mini of mine which is now gone :(
the only bad thing about it was that you need to bend/remove the pin which is usually used as a mounting point for the normal ignition module in order to make the electric one fit if ya get me :? ....
easy job to install yourself...
best thing to do is buy two sets and leave one in your toolbox in case it ever did malfunction.

steven
some day....
ClearOfCloud
NON Member

Post by ClearOfCloud »

I fitted the Pertronix kit in my distributor a few years ago now (5yrs?). Was [u]really[/u] simple to do and has survived two floods !! Still working fine

David
David