Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Club Mag

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

1lightningd
NON Member

Club Mag

Post by 1lightningd »

Any sign of a club mag?

woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Any volinteers for mag editor?
THE DUKE
NON Member

Post by THE DUKE »

Hope there spelling is better
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

One would hope so, but for your own special educational need you might remember the following.

"There" is a word functioning in various parts of speech, but basically referring to a place: "Your Mini is over there."

"Their" is a possessive form used as a modifier before nouns, basically mean "belonging to them" as in "their Mini" or "their spelling".

Sentences should be finished with a punctuation mark.

I trust this will help you in the future.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
leyland
NON Member

Magazine

Post by leyland »

Looks like you might be the perfect person for the mag job
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Between an A series and a G13B
What Minis have you?: 61 van,68 MKII,
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

Post by kerryminigringo »

hey leyland,any word on the new mini club yet
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Have they got a mag out yet?
Will we need the secret code to read it?
ned78
NON Member

Post by ned78 »

No, but there's something out. You just have to be in the know :-)
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Begod Ned, between knowing the TV3 sham was sponsored by BMW and having access to the "something" the Mini C.of.I have produced makes me think that you're a man of many secrets. Is it true that you work for BMW/MINI?

Billy
ned78
NON Member

Post by ned78 »

I can definitely say I don't work for BMW or MINI. I presume by 'sham' you mean person, and not shambles? :D
j lancaster
NON Member

Post by j lancaster »

Neil,

Any chance you could get involved in the rewriting of the club Constitution , and get it up on the website , as I am getting pestered
by club and non club members for copies of the ammended version as per the AGM 06.

Thanks,
John.
cooper"S"
kieran
NON Member

Magazine

Post by kieran »

The plan is to get a magazine together by end July - Mid August. It will be compiled from articles, photos, "Mini" stories, "How to", etc submitted for publication. So if nothing is received , no magazine will be published.

Its the members Club Magazine, so it relies on them for input. (FYI To date, from the AGM, nothing has been received from any member).

I will be sending a circular to ALL members shortly and this will be one of the points listed.

The Editor (2006)
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Between an A series and a G13B
What Minis have you?: 61 van,68 MKII,
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

Post by kerryminigringo »

maybe its a secret club that only a few secret members know about or maybe its an imaginary club just like big birds friend on sesame street,mr snufalopagus,who is to know if we are not in the know or maybe nobody knows who is in the know cos i don,t know
minis24se7en
NON Member
Whats your location?: Mayo.

Post by minis24se7en »

Mmmm.........ya could be on to something there Kerryminigringo.

Maby Mr. Snufalopagus is president of the new club and he's secretly going to organise a MINI Muppet Show on sesame street!! :o
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Kieran,

As IMOC President, any chance of a discussion on MTM500?

Billy
Tel: 087-4195640
kieran
NON Member

MTM500 & Believing in the IMOC.

Post by kieran »

Hi Billy,

MTM500 is out to tender as such. If members want to organise this event, they they will have to present their plan at the next IMOC committee meeting which hopefully will be in July 2006. The same rules apply as MTMs up to now. The event must be costed to break even at the least (the IMOC will not be liable for any loss incurred), to include Event insurance, organising expenses and any administration costs eg t-shirts, maps, stickers, etc applicable to the event. An Event this size is not a one man show, so a team will needed from the outset.

Kieran (IMOC President 2006)

To All,

On a personal note, I find the discussion(s) on the forum highly derogatory to the "Mini" community. People seem to forget that BMW gave the Classic an extra 7 years of life. Their replacement was a design that stands out from the crowd the way the Classic did and so attracted those classic owners that require a larger car for everyday use, but has all the fun of the original. I do accept they are very diffent Minis physically but not in spirit. If people check who within the IMOC has a "New" Mini, they will find that most also have a Classic or are activately looking for one to buy.

On a more basic note, members compiled the 2004 Club and I quote:

Objectives & Goals:
2.i The objective of the I.M.O.C. is to promote interest in the
Mini/MINI and it’s derivates
2.ii The I.M.O.C. shall endeavour to create friendly relations
between its members by organising social activities, at local
and national levels

If members do not believe in their own constitution, then the IMOC is not the Club for them.

Finally, IMOC members questioned why other members decided to form a new club. The answer is simple, they are sick and tired of the bickering within the IMOC and just want to get back to enjoying their Minis. It as simple as that.

Kieran (IMOC member)
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Kieran,

If the club has the previous MTM figures, I would appreciate access to them so as not waste time re-inventing the wheel. As regards the organisation of the proposed MTM500 for classic Minis only, I am hoping to put together a group of members from different regions. MTM is a national event and should include members from around the country.

As regards the new mini club, I have been approached to join but have declined. I am also aware of at least one National Committee member who has also been asked to join the new club. If people are deciding to set up a new club, then questions have to be asked why there is bickering etc. My own opinion is that members don't feel there is value for money in joining the IMOC. There's no regular events list for those without internet, there's no magazine, and there's a real problem of lack of communication within the club, especially between the regions. I for one am trying through the proposal of MTM500 to breathe life into the national club but some are determined to let such opportunities slip away.

Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't feel that way.

Billy
kieran
NON Member

MTM500

Post by kieran »

The figures for MTM are available, no problem there, but I will reiterate that it will take a team to organise MTM500, its too much for 1 person. MTM is a National event as you describe, so I do hope you get that volunteer committee from all regions. MTM is a major event but by no means is it the life and soul of the IMOC. Many have the same level of fun on local events, the variety of which alone can offer huge entertainment.

I still dont see the point in wanting to limit MTM500 to Classics only. You will get to a stage that 850cc will have one event, 998cc another etc. The fun of the Club and events is the people, not what you drive. I am actually surprised you are taking/proposing this direction for MTM500, I have always believed you to have an open approach to the Mini scene.
I know you champion the Classic, but have never heard you comment negitively on derivates etc.

I took on 3 positions this year to ensure the survival of the IMOC. Granted, the last 3 months have been spent upgrading the website and database, I thank Simon and Kavan, but now we are in a position to reduce administration costs. This was one of the goals for 2006 raised at AGM2006.

I will be contacting the membership shortly and in conjunction with them to set a communication strategy based on the new technology available to us, while not ignoring those who rely on the traditional post for information. Dont mistake a lull for lack of interest, as central point of contact I hear the positive vibes as well as the negative ones and there are certainly more positive then negative.

One negative being monitored by the Big Brother of the "Mini" scene, is the conflict regarding New and Classic. The IMOC [b]was[/b] renowned for it's openiness to the New Mini, but remarks like "Bini" on the website have erased [b]ALL[/b] the goodwill we created to date. The Bickering you refer to is not based in arguements about value for money, but in those who give their best to do/organise things, committee(s), Events, magazines etc, have their efforts constantly critised by other members who wont help or support in any way.

The IMOC is a hobby/social Club, thats the primary objective, so why put limitations on who can enjoy the fun.

It is hard wearing the 3 hats, but I will do my best for the IMOC for 2006.

Kieran
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Kieran, first of all, you are to be commended for wearing the 3 hats. Secondly, ideally you shouldn't have to wear them on the basis that there should be others prepared to make the effort to help run the club. However from the reports I heard of the AGM, volunteers were scarce on the ground and that's not a good thing.

If you can have the previous MTM figures e-mailed to me at oldtrainhouse@eircom.net, I'd appreciate it. If MTM500 gets the go-ahead from the club, it will be on 2 conditions:

1. It absolutely will be a team affair. There is no way I am running this on my own. I've spoken to Adrian Cusack in Galway and hope to attend the next WR meeting in July with a view to getting some of the Western guys involved. TMG has also offered to help out, where possible.

2. If I'm involved in the running of the MTM500, it will be classic Minis only and will be a one day event. Others are welcome to suggest alternative events, no doubt.

Some suggestions on future club communication:

1. When planning events which may be of interest to other regions, allow enough time for the other regions to have their monthly meetings between the announcement of the event and it actually taking place. That way, there is more chance for other regions to take part. I believe we have a situation where there are several regions under the umbrella of the IMOC, who are working away on their own, have no interaction with other regions, and could just as well be autonomous clubs in their own right. That's not what a national club should be.

2. Get something out to ALL members at least once a month. It doesn't have to be fancy.

Re: MTM500. As you mention yourself, most of the MINI owners already own classic minis but as I have suggested in the MTM thread, they don't use their old Minis that much anymore. Do you have a figure of how many current club members just own a MINI and not a Classic? Are we getting excited over a tiny number of members? As you rightly say, I have always championed the classic Mini and as I have also explained in the MTM thread, I'm just not bothered about the new MINI though I have already recognised BMW's contribution to previous MTM's on the MTM thread. However to me, Mini derivatives are Mokes, Elfs, Marcos' etc.

I will continue to push the Classic-only event as a void needs to be filled. If there are others prepared to run a similar event open to MINIs also, then let yourselves be known.

Let us know when you are holding that committee meeting and don't forget to send me those figures.

Billy
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Re: MTM500

Post by woody »

"The fun of the Club and events is the people, not what you drive."

Kieran I think you may find the common bond of the club IS what you drive.I have complainted in the past that the IMOC has become more of a social club than a car club, with events aimed more at family outings than car enthusiasts.Doing MTM in a classic is definitly for the enthusiasts.

Since the launch of the bini there has been debate (bickering) as to its heritage and this will go on for a while yet, and clubs all around the world are deciding to accept or reject them. Our current constitution accepts them and owning any mini is not compulsery to IMOC membership.

Nothing in the current rules stops the club from running an event with a cutoff age for cars, many other car clubs run such events or shows and the age of the car is part of the terms of entering that event. I may be wrong but there may have been nothing in writing in the past to prevent anybody from doing the event in any modern car !
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Kieran, as this started off as a discussion on the IMOC club mag, I'll be sending you a report on yesterday's Charleville Show.

[Paragraph deleted, content may contravene a persons right to privacy, under the rules of responsable use of a forum.. Kieran (President)]

Billy
city998
NON Member

Post by city998 »

Firstly, I don't want to get involved over who can or cannot take part in any event.

I must, however, reply to the comment, "Their replacement was a design that stands out from the crowd the way the Classic did and so attracted those classic owners that require a larger car for everyday use, but has all the fun of the original. I do accept they are very diffent Minis physically but not in spirit."

I respectfully sibmit that the BMW Mini is very different in spirit from Issagonis' design - a very basic and inexpensive family car. The new model is very much a niche car designed for those who want a bit of flash and have the cash to pay for it. That each may be fun to drive is another issue but the spirit in which each was conceived is very different.

My philosophy is anything weighing over 1600 lbs is too heavy!!!
mini998s
NON Member

Post by mini998s »

Billy,
Does the following look familiar?

There's a 2-page spread in today's Irish (Cork) Examiner on our B&B. There's even a picture of PIM91, '67 Mk1 Cooper. You'll find the article on pages 30-31 of the Property section and no, we're not selling up.

End of plug.

Billy
http://www.oldtrainhouse.com[/i]

All I'll say is let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I would suggest there are similarities.
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

Huh ?

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Alex, I don't see your problem. I'm being open about who I am and my business. Nedser clearly wasn't by blatantly denying his association with MINI and BMW earlier in this thread and to me that's a bit sneaky.

Billy