Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

**Insurance Trouble, any advice, please!!**

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Tony Cooney
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1992 Mini City

Re: **Insurance Trouble, any advice, please!!**

Post by Tony Cooney »

At the end of the day, it is up to each individual to ensure that they are correctly & appropriatley insured when driving any car on a public road.
Reading the small print in any policy document can be a cumbersome task for us consumers, but, you can be full sure that any insurance legal team will be expertly versed on the terms & conditions of any particular policy.

Never judge a book by it's cover............

Tony

mgb1978
NON Member
Whats your location?: Co. Limerick
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1976 saloon , 1275cc, White with black roof. Converted to Discs on the cheap so stuck with 12"s for now.

Post by mgb1978 »

There is no blanket condition that states that when you are driving someone else's car that that car must be insured by the owner. Some insurance companies will insist on it, some wont.
However they all insist that that the car is taxed (and NCTed). You cannot legally tax a car without it being insured by the registered owner, so once the tax runs out it cannot be renewed without an insurance policy in force for that car.
As mentioned already if I buy, for instance, a Bugatti Veyron (I wish !!!) and put it in my mother's name she may be the registered owner, but she is not the legal owner.
If I then have a small accident, say €1200 to repair the car I hit, the insurance company will probably pay out because it's cheaper than going to court to sort it out.
If however I rear-end a 2010 BMW 730i and write it off ( plus a personal injuries claim) then my insurance company will be very interested in the true facts.

It's one thing if I take my friend's car for a spin, quite another for me to buy a car and put it someone else's name to try to defraud an insurance company.
StanO'Toole
NON Member
Whats your location?: South Dublin
What Minis have you?: 1995 Mini Mayfair
1994 Mini Sprite

Post by StanO'Toole »

If you have put a car into your mothers name she will get a tax renewal form which you can then use to tax the car if it does run out. As for ownership of the car, the fact of the matter is the car (if so you do crash) is in her name and how she retained that car is nothing to do with them. If there is questions about why you were driving the car, you were just making use of your open policy which you have payed for, they might be asking alot of questions but if the car is not in your name, has tax and test then you are doing nothing wrong!
Getting old is a must but growing up is optional!

StanO'Toole :mrgreen:
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

It should be said that the Irish Mini Owners Club does not condone any dubious use of insurance documents.
At the start of each IMOC run held on a public road, all entrants are obliged to sign a disclaimer form which includes the following statement: "I declare that during the entire period of the event my vehicle and any driver thereof will be covered by valid and subsisting insurance as required by the Road Traffic Act 1961."
Our club insurance broker has been made aware of our policy of using this disclaimer.

In the event of a road traffic accident occuring on an IMOC event, the club will pass on these disclaimer forms to the Gardai and any relevant insurance company, if requested.
It is the responsibility of the entrant to ensure their cars are fully road legal when in use.

As this is a public forum, I would suggest that anyone above who has publicly stated their names and insurance companies above may wish to amend their posts.

Billy
IMOC Committee
mustard
NON Member
What Minis have you?: 97 rover cooper sportspack, a bloody metro and MY 61 mini van

Post by mustard »

yawn......................................................

this topic not over yet....................
If ya can't fix it with a hammer, its an electrical problem!

J & A Commercials and Auto Repairs ltd.
From Minis to Trucks, everything and anything
Clondalkin Dublin 22
Contact Mick: 0868526492 or 014578687
daniel garry
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
What Minis have you?: 1996 BRG mayfair 1275 auto-lyin up now
1990 1l city-daily driver
1993 cooper spi-completly stripped and upside down!
the long term project(advantage) courtesy of mr skelly!!
rotten shell-found a floor repair panel in the boot tho!

Post by daniel garry »

mustard wrote:yawn......................................................

this topic not over yet....................
just heatin up!!
keithm4031
NON Member
Whats your location?: Derries,
Ballintra,
CO.Donegal
What Minis have you?: Austin Mini City
998cc
Modifications: Known yet

Post by keithm4031 »

i didnt think it would get this heated. all i was asking was an easy way to insure my mini. :lol:
mustard
NON Member
What Minis have you?: 97 rover cooper sportspack, a bloody metro and MY 61 mini van

Post by mustard »

keithm4031 wrote:i didnt think it would get this heated. all i was asking was an easy way to insure my mini. :lol:
minis...... ya never know what will happen!!!!! :mrgreen:

Clondalkin Dublin 22
StanO'Toole
NON Member
1994 Mini Sprite

Post by StanO'Toole »

To right lads, we just starting! :mrgreen: Billy, please tell me why I would be amending my posts? Keith here started a thread about insurance to help him out (which has turned into a very active thread!) and we are just trying to help him out. No one is doing anything wrong! I don't pay 2,500euro to drive a car to not be insured.

Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Stan,

PM sent.
mustard
NON Member

Post by mustard »

Billy wrote:Stan,

PM sent.
uh oh! :roll:

Clondalkin Dublin 22
StanO'Toole
NON Member
1994 Mini Sprite

Post by StanO'Toole »

Thats my part said so I'm going to stop talking before I gets in troubles!

Kenneth Murphy
NON Member
Whats your location?: knockbine
tullycanna
ballymitty
co. wexford.
What Minis have you?: 1972 pick up
1979 leyland
88 designer

Post by Kenneth Murphy »

ha rage
................................FOUNDER OF HILLBILLY ENGINEERING.................................
FROM THIS TO THISImage
Deadly Dave
NON Member
What Minis have you?: 1990 Black Checkmate 998cc

Post by Deadly Dave »

It is also worth bearing in mind that most policies have a clause saying " provided that the person holds a licence to drive such a vehicle.....". Therefore , if you are on a prov. licence and you should have a fully licenced driver with you and you dont , you are then not licenced and then not insured !!!!
Deadly Dave Image
Kenneth Murphy
NON Member
Whats your location?: knockbine
tullycanna
ballymitty
co. wexford.
What Minis have you?: 1972 pick up
1979 leyland
88 designer

Post by Kenneth Murphy »

very true point dave, i remember a friend of mine had trouble wit that years ago on a bike! had to have a licenced person wit him but wasn't insured to carry a pillion passenger!!!
that was a bit off topic... best thing to do is go into a broker and discuss the details over the counter, i did that wit axa and saved a few hundred on my mini (i'm 24 wit a full licence) i'm payin around 750 and i can drive any vehicle not in my name but only covers 3rd party damages
................................FOUNDER OF HILLBILLY ENGINEERING.................................
FROM THIS TO THISImage
antodeco
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Ballyfermot, Dublin 10
What Minis have you?: '89 Mayfair
'80 1275GT
'79 Unknown!
'76 Clubman

Post by antodeco »

Ive had experience with open drive, other cars, multiple owners, etc. In the end, its really not worth it. I have all three cars insured seperately. All fully comp. I know that if I go and drive it, and something happens, Im covered. Insurance companies are VERY good at getting out of paying if they can...

Also, alot of open drives state you need to over 25. In all my experiences, thats the ways its been, and that the other car needs to be insured. However, I cant vouch for QDI.
-Mmmmmmmmmini-
oel159
NON Member
What Minis have you?: 1972 Mini

Post by oel159 »

[quote="antodeco"]Insurance companies are VERY good at getting out of paying if they can...quote]

I fully agree with that, friend of mine works for a very well known insurance company, and basicly the less he can pay out the more of a bonus he'd get.
keithm4031
NON Member
Ballintra,
CO.Donegal
998cc

Post by keithm4031 »

Thanks guys, i didnt know that there was so much stuff ya need to know to insure your car. i thought ya just went in asked for insurance and that was you. thanks for all your help, im nearly afraid to ask about tax! :lol: keep posting im sure there is more we can find out.

Thanks keith
briain
NON Member
Whats your location?: Glenageary, South Dublin

Post by briain »

StanO'Toole wrote:
thestillminis wrote:the vehicle must be insured.
When your with Quinn Direct the car that you are driving with your open drive does NOT have to be insured.
Are you 100% sure on that? If so how do you tax the car in question without an insurance cert? or nct it without tax. Not trying to poke holes in your idea. I pulled every scam going when I was younger on bikes to insure them. But just be sure you're covered and as someone else said insurance companies aren't fools. They're in the business of making money and a lot of it
oel159
NON Member
What Minis have you?: 1972 Mini

Post by oel159 »

briain wrote:
StanO'Toole wrote:
thestillminis wrote:the vehicle must be insured.
When your with Quinn Direct the car that you are driving with your open drive does NOT have to be insured.
Are you 100% sure on that? If so how do you tax the car in question without an insurance cert? or nct it without tax. Not trying to poke holes in your idea. I pulled every scam going when I was younger on bikes to insure them. But just be sure you're covered and as someone else said insurance companies aren't fools. They're in the business of making money and a lot of it
Thats a very good point, you have to provide a valid insurance policy for that car when renewing your tax. Complete dodge, bite the bullet and get your own insurance. We've all paid big money for our first years insurance, if you can't afford it on a mini then you'll have to review your priorities. Get a mini and work on it until you can afford to insure one and get a daily hack for the time being.
macker
NON Member
Whats your location?: THE FRIDGE
Region: Aboard
What Minis have you?: 110bhp 1968 mkII
Modifications: NEW Custom flakey paint

Post by macker »

So Kieth, as you can see, theirs lots to think about,
my best advice to you would be to ring around as many insurance companies as you can to get the best quote available,
and if while on your quest you come across somebody offering cheaper insurance for young drivers please don't hessitate to post your findings here for all to see,

happy hunting :wink:
ImageImageImage
keithm4031
NON Member
Ballintra,
CO.Donegal
998cc

Post by keithm4031 »

Thanks Macker,
Will get back once i get a reasonable offer and when i get my insurance done. Thanks a lot guys for all your suggestions and help.

keith