Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Insurance

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

hi_im_fil
NON Member

Insurance

Post by hi_im_fil »

Hello, I am thinking about buying a mini but the insurance may be a problem for me. I am only 18 and insurance is so expensive. Also i have heard that it is hard to get classic insurance if you are under 25. Is this true? Do I have to insure it as a classic even if is my daily drive? Help would be appreciated greatly. And if there is anyone out there around the same age driving a mini any info would be a help. Thanks in advance, Philip

Mark
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Mark »

You wont be able to get classic insurance under 25.

Before you buy any car check you can afford the insurance. Get a quote from every company and ever broker in the phone book
hi_im_fil
NON Member

Post by hi_im_fil »

Thanks for the quick reply. So if i was to buy a late nineties mini, it wouldn't be a classsic, so could i just insure it like any regular car?
nannyc
NON Member

Post by nannyc »

yup exactly.
PeterT
NON Member

Post by PeterT »

im 17 on a provisional and have a 1990 city....got insured with axa and was very reasonable indeed.1990 was the oldest car i could get insured on i think
hi_im_fil
NON Member

Post by hi_im_fil »

Around how much is your insurance PeterT?
chrisbonnie
NON Member

Post by chrisbonnie »

well, im 24, and just got insured 2 weeks ago for my first time on a 1999 cooper

it was €2400, cheapest i could find, that was Quinn Direct, if you do a driving test with Hibernian it could be cheaper
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Re: Insurance

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

[quote="hi_im_fil"]Hello, I am thinking about buying a mini but the insurance may be a problem for me. I am only 18 and insurance is so expensive.[/quote]

Insurance is all based on risk, and as a young driver you are regarded as a greater risk, If you are thinking of buying a Mini, go for a standard 998cc car. The 1.3 and Cooper models will attract a higher premium straight away. Get a car that is younger than 15 years old too.

[quote] Also i have heard that it is hard to get classic insurance if you are under 25. Is this true?[/quote]

Not only have you to be over 25, but you also have to have a separate full policy in your own name. classic policy's are sort of piggy-back policies on your full policy.

[quote] Do I have to insure it as a classic even if is my daily drive?[/quote]

Here you have to check the fine print, most policies are limited mileage, although extra miles can be bought fairly cheaply, but some classic policies have a clause that excludes the car being used for driving to and from work, AXA for one, now I know you are going to say that you can always say that you were going to the shops, but they wouldn't put it in the policy unless they knew that it could get them out of paying a claim, so I wouldn't risk it.

Hope this helps.
KevH
NON Member

Post by KevH »

i got a quote last year for my 1979 998cc mini as i was afraid i was not gona be able to get insured on it. i rang 15 places and none would insure me for diferent reasons, d age of the car, my age now 27, cos i hav no insurance policy of my own and cos ive no no claims bonus, even though ive been insured on me das car since i was 17 and had 3 years insurance on a company van,
any way got onto a broker and he said if u get 10 refusals wat u do is, ask dem for a no quote cert or something, if u get 10 of these u can contact d ombudsman, and he has to get u insured by the cheapest crowd out of the 10 u rang, and dey HAVE to insure u.
i started to ring up the places to get these certs and luckily chated to one guy who was giving me a quote, he said he couldnt do it and den started chating to me about my car and dat he had a mini too. he said to go to first ireland insurance, dat dat is where all mini guys get ders done.

rang dem up and got a quote for 340 or someting, fully comp fire and theft, this is all with d age of car, my age and my lack of no claims bonus.

id say try dem and if not find out bout dat ombudsman ting, gud luck

i just hope i stil get insurance wen i get my car on d road!!!
PeterT
NON Member

Post by PeterT »

[quote="hi_im_fil"]Around how much is your insurance PeterT?[/quote]

its 2600 tpft,17 year old,provisional,own policy,first policy.by far the best i got,and i originaly got it from hibernian but axa matched it,so i didnt have to do the ignition test.
websurferbill
NON Member

Post by websurferbill »

I agree with Mark defo compare all the insurance prices before you commit to the car

Had to do this recently to see if could afford cover on new mini (got some points for speeding naughty, naughty!)

Anyway found this useful for looking at the different ones you can use [url]http://www.moneysupermarket.com/motor/[/url] got meself a good low premium of here aswell. :D

Anybody no why smiles and such aren't working, there set to enabled in my profile - anything else i need to do?
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

[quote="websurferbill"]Anybody no why smiles and such aren't working, there set to enabled in my profile - anything else i need to do?[/quote]

We don't use them, everyone hereis happy all the time, it's taken for granted.

We don't use images or image tags either, and the pm's are disabled too.

It's the way we is. :)

Welcome BTW.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
92Coop
NON Member

Post by 92Coop »

TMG - FBD will offer classic insurance without you having another 'seperate' policy. dont know whether they are supposed to, but they do :D
Quake
NON Member

Post by Quake »

If FBD are doing this then it opens up a whole heap of possibilities for driving something interesting as an everyday car aswell, will be checking that one out pronto.