Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Mini for girlfriend

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

kevcity
NON Member

Mini for girlfriend

Post by kevcity »

Hi,
Im currenly looking at buying a mini for my grilfriend. I have one in mind but befor i do i want to get some opinions on how the mini will perform for her.
i.e. she will be using the car in town (carlow) most days but at the weekend she will be doin some drivin froom carlow to wexford or kildare - would 1980 mini be up to this?
and if so - how safe would it be, i.e are brakes sound etc any issues?
Also, is it possible to change to unleaded, and how much would it cost?

Your help would be greatly appreciated?

cheers

1.3_LHD
NON Member

Post by 1.3_LHD »

Hi kevcity,

A 1980 mini can take you everywhere if it's in good conditions :) .

I wouldnt think about it in terms of safety. Bear in mind that it does not have the security devices a brand new car can offer.

Sound and brakes shouldn't be an issue. The best thing you can do is take for a spin with your girlfriend and see how you feel.

About changing it to unleaded, I cant help you, sorry.

Saludos.
city998
NON Member

Post by city998 »

"Also, is it possible to change to unleaded, and how much would it cost? "

Valve seats in the head need to be changed or, better, get an unleaded head and fit it! Plenty of Mini mechanics around to do the conversion if you decide to go ahead.
harlem
NON Member

Post by harlem »

Hey there Kev, I know you posted this a while ago but if you're still looking for mini for your missus give me a shout, I'm based in Carlow myself and selling a 96' mini (red - copper replica), its already an injection engine so you wouldn't have to worry about using the unleaded petrol, I use it every day travelling from Carlow - Kilkenny, its a v solid little car I just want something bigger.

It's on UK plates but only cost euro300 or thereabouts to VRT it & put it on Irish plates, as for the NCT, it passed the MOT in December so it is in tip top order mechanically.

drop me a mail if you're interested harlem@eircom.net

you might've seen it around Carlow already, its red with white stripes, white roof, chrome all over and alloys, not many of them around the town! and its on UK plates
The only thing to fear in life is fear itself
irlmin
NON Member

Post by irlmin »

Just a quick note here from the Moderators , I think People should be aware it's illegal to sell a UK registered car in Ireland on UK plates , the Owner / importer MUST pay the VRT before selling to an Irish resident .and in fact the VRT must be paid within 24 hours OR the next working day after import .any of the Dealers who 'Stock' UK registered cars have a licence to hold such stock until sold .
harlem
NON Member

Post by harlem »

Irlmin - my apologies for this, i was not aware that this was an illegal practice as it is the second time I've bought a UK car from an Irish resident; would you please be so kind as to delete my as for the car in the 'for sale' section of the site and could you please e-mail me harlem@eircom.net as I would really appreciate your advice; I've tried to PM you but the PM's are blocked.

many thanks,

Caroline
The only thing to fear in life is fear itself