Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Sparco Harnesses VS Gardai & NCT

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

antodeco
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Ballyfermot, Dublin 10
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: '89 Mayfair
'80 1275GT
'79 Unknown!
'76 Clubman

Sparco Harnesses VS Gardai & NCT

Post by antodeco »

Hi All,
I am just wondering are there are issues with having race harnesses in terms of legality/NCT?

Thanks

-Mmmmmmmmmini-
dennis
NON Member

Re: Sparco Harnesses VS Gardai & NCT

Post by dennis »

Ive had a few NCTs and been stopped loads of times and never had a problem.
antodeco
IMOC Paid Member
'80 1275GT
'79 Unknown!
'76 Clubman

Post by antodeco »

Thanks. Were you wearing your normal seatbelt or the harnesses? The reason I ask, is that the seatbelt was removed on the drivers side, and it would save me hassle trying to get it put back on, if I can just use the harnesses.
-Mmmmmmmmmini-
keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

antodeco wrote:Thanks. Were you wearing your normal seatbelt or the harnesses? The reason I ask, is that the seatbelt was removed on the drivers side, and it would save me hassle trying to get it put back on, if I can just use the harnesses.
as an aside isn't it farcical that greater safety might be considered a breach of regulations by the authorities
antodeco
IMOC Paid Member
'80 1275GT
'79 Unknown!
'76 Clubman

Post by antodeco »

keith wrote:
antodeco wrote:Thanks. Were you wearing your normal seatbelt or the harnesses? The reason I ask, is that the seatbelt was removed on the drivers side, and it would save me hassle trying to get it put back on, if I can just use the harnesses.
as an aside isn't it farcical that greater safety might be considered a breach of regulations by the authorities
I think the arguement on this is the fact that it is "easier" to get out from a standard seatbelt than a harness. But you are totally right!
-Mmmmmmmmmini-
J145
NON Member

Post by J145 »

Someone I know running 3-point harnesses told me he did get stopped because the Garda couldn't see a belt running from the B pillar to his shoulder when he was following him but once he saw the harness he was happy enough to let him continue.

I'm in the same boat as you, the car was missing the passenger side inertia belt and for the cost of a replacement I picked up a pair of second hand 3-point harnesses. I'll be putting the car through it's NCT shortly so I'll let you know how I get on.
antodeco
IMOC Paid Member
'80 1275GT
'79 Unknown!
'76 Clubman

Post by antodeco »

J145 wrote:Someone I know running 3-point harnesses told me he did get stopped because the Garda couldn't see a belt running from the B pillar to his shoulder when he was following him but once he saw the harness he was happy enough to let him continue.

I'm in the same boat as you, the car was missing the passenger side inertia belt and for the cost of a replacement I picked up a pair of second hand 3-point harnesses. I'll be putting the car through it's NCT shortly so I'll let you know how I get on.
Fantastic, thanks. I have all the other seatbelts connected up and working (including the addition of ones in the rear). Its just the drivers one that is missing. I have the seat belt there, its just not attached to anything (either on the pillar or the floor).
-Mmmmmmmmmini-
dennis
NON Member

Post by dennis »

[quote="antodeco"]Thanks. Were you wearing your normal seatbelt or the harnesses? The reason I ask, is that the seatbelt was removed on the drivers side, and it would save me hassle trying to get it put back on, if I can just use the harnesses.[/quote]

No i dont have standard belts
antodeco
IMOC Paid Member
'80 1275GT
'79 Unknown!
'76 Clubman

Post by antodeco »

dennis wrote:
No i dont have standard belts
Even better news! So you had no problems with the NCT even though you had no standard belts?
-Mmmmmmmmmini-
BlackSe7en
IMOC Paid Member

Post by BlackSe7en »

In a court not too long ago , a Judge decided that a Harness is NOT a seatbelt. I don't know how legal this is or if it is up to a Judge's discretion.
kona
NON Member

Post by kona »

The only problem you will have with the NCT is if your car is registered after 1991, cars are legally required to have belts in the back.
Another thing to remember is that you have to get the Harnesses the right length, mine are Sparco 3 point and they are Small, and I could probablt still say they are a bit too long.
Mine went through the NCT with them too, tester said nothing, had Cobra Monacos in it too.
antodeco
IMOC Paid Member
'80 1275GT
'79 Unknown!
'76 Clubman

Post by antodeco »

Its a 1980, and there are belts in the back, so covered from both angles!

I havent driven the car yet, so I cant say what size the harnesses are. They are full rally spec anyway, and are properly mounted, so from a bolted in point of view, they seem ok. I might pop out to the car later and try them on and see what way they are.

If they are ok, all I might need to worry about is the breaklight switch! :D
-Mmmmmmmmmini-
J145
NON Member

Post by J145 »

Quick update, not long back from the NCT centre the car passed no problem - there was nothing mentioned about the 3-point harnesses I have fitted. :D
StanO'Toole
NON Member
Whats your location?: South Dublin
What Minis have you?: 1995 Mini Mayfair
1994 Mini Sprite

Post by StanO'Toole »

J145 wrote:Quick update, not long back from the NCT centre the car passed no problem - there was nothing mentioned about the 3-point harnesses I have fitted. :D
Good stuff, glad to hear it :mrgreen:
Getting old is a must but growing up is optional!

StanO'Toole :mrgreen: