Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

sitting low

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Between an A series and a G13B
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 61 van,68 MKII,
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

sitting low

Post by kerryminigringo »

since some vigorus driving on the mtm,my gt is sitting about 25mm lower on the rear drivers side than the other and I was wondering is it possible to flaten a suspension cone or is the problem something else as nothng seems to have moved and I rebushed this arm before the mtm.Any ideas???

irlmin
NON Member

Post by irlmin »

Aidan ,
This is a common problem and it's usually just 'settling' after a suspension rebuild such as radius arm refurbishment , I am sure the roads Kerry and Galway would make sure everything was settled in place , just put in a 'washer' of suitable size between the alloy 'trumpet' and the 'ball joint' and that will even things up .
Gerard
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

I could be hired out to sit in the rear on the passengers side :)

although this might just cause an imbalance the other way :(

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

thanks for the info and tmg do you require feeding and are you happy to sit there indefinately,its just that i,m all minied out at the moment so the easiest way out would suit p.s. i must call over for those wheels if their still available
irlmin
NON Member

Post by irlmin »

[quote="The Marcos Graveyard"]I could be hired out to sit in the rear on the passengers side :)

although this might just cause an imbalance the other way :([/quote

I would be worried about that modification , I don't think the Mk1 Neil model comes with the optional 'mute' button and prolonged exposure may affect performance of the vehicle and driver over a long period , it will require a constant supply of 'fuel' and may also require regular stops for visits to the 'recycling' centre or fittment of an automotive 'bio cycle ' . I would also worry that continued exposure to this model may affect your judgment and you might find yourself looking at -God forbid -- plastic bodied and wooden floored coupes !!!! . I would tread carefully and would even live with the 'imbalance' . Research has shown that there was only 1 Mk1 'Neil' model made and then they threw away the 'mould ' .

:wink: :lol: 8) :lol:
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
1984 Mini Sprite
Weber45

When thinking about it, I think that all your potential problems regarding the Mk I Neil can all be easily over come, especially for anyone with any dedication to the Mini, possible equalisation of the suspension setting could be made by the additional use of Fa-hey joint and an O'Carroll A assembly, while this would ensure an unrivaled low car stance the solution would be offset unfortunately by the additional blind spots that would be created causing leftward and rearward visibility problems, the additional weigh may, I repeat may, also affect the acceleration of the vehicle.

irlmin
NON Member

Post by irlmin »

[quote="The Marcos Graveyard"]When thinking about it, I think that all your potential problems regarding the Mk I Neil can all be easily over come, especially for anyone with any dedication to the Mini, possible equalisation of the suspension setting could be made by the additional use of Fa-hey joint and an O'Carroll A assembly, while this would ensure an unrivaled low car stance the solution would be offset unfortunately by the additional blind spots that would be created causing leftward and rearward visibility problems, the additional weigh may, I repeat may, also affect the acceleration of the vehicle.[/quote]

That may well be the case but I would caution the use of an 'experiMENTAL device such as the Fa-hey joint or indeed the O'Carroll A assembly particularly the 'Ronan' model as this model has in the past been seen in public with a Mini type with 'wooden ' cladding and a camafluage in 'Datsun green ' this 'device ' has undergone testing in the deep south and indeed inside the artic circle and is still classified 'experimental ' as the AA will testify to .No I feel the only way to go forward is to use the prototype and still secret JGP unidirectional 'gigling pin ' in the laughing shaft, that will ensure a steep acceleration curve and bar any detours to Alpha 3 or any such orbital stations We should be ok . None of the above will sort Aidans imbalance and I doubt there is anyone on here qualified to 'balance ' imbalances of that magnitude certainly not the Mk1 Neil model , now if we were to fit the 'ronan' models experimental 'cladding ' to the Mk1 Neil I think we would have a viable alternative to something -- what I don't know .now where is 'Timmy Da Shrink ' when I need him .
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
1984 Mini Sprite
Weber45

Ohh, not too sure on the JGP stuff, I've heard there are side effects which can take time to get rid of.

irlmin
NON Member

Post by irlmin »

[quote="The Marcos Graveyard"]Ohh, not too sure on the JGP stuff, I've heard there are side effects which can take time to get rid of.[/quote]

Ok I accept that , in fact i have no choice but to accept it as I have been personally involved in minimising the effects of this phenonemon using another of the O'Carroll models and a range of traffic cameras and mobile phones to good effect ( I am currently receiving councelling after that one ) details of that 'event' will eventually be released after the mandatory 30 year rule .or may be leaked by the afforementioned O'C the K1 model upon satisfactory guarantees of compliance with official secrets act , it is also worth mentioning that the JGP model may also be used to 'balance ' Aidans Mini BUT there would be no guarantee the 'balast' could be put in 'silent' mode or also maintain a presence in the correct position in order to have the required effect . :? :?
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
1984 Mini Sprite
Weber45

Ok, Go with the washer then. :oops:

irlmin
NON Member

Post by irlmin »

Yeah I think the washer would be best !!
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

having seen first hand the effect of a fa-hay joint has on ones driving style or should that be flying style and the if using an ocarroll assembley results in the use of datsuns finest back catalogue of colours perhaps its safest if i use a washer p.s i have had in the back of my mind wondered how easy (or insanely difficult) it would be to put a plastic bodied,wooden floored variant together seeing as they are making them again
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Isn't Science great?

Post by Billy »

Gee lads, ye've lost me with all this technical stuff. My understanding was that a JGP was something that was attached to the inlet of a turbocharger and the resultant gases induced rapid acceleration in the opposite direction. Woody, is that turbo still in the front garden? Weren't you telling me you had a bad experience with a dodgy JGP and that it would be best attached to the end of the exhaust pipe?
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
1984 Mini Sprite
Weber45

I think Woody's problems these days are more of the JPL type.

The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
1984 Mini Sprite
Weber45

[quote="kerryminigringo"] i have had in the back of my mind wondered how easy (or insanely difficult) it would be to put a plastic bodied,wooden floored variant together seeing as they are making them again[/quote]

What's with the wooden floor thing ?????

kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

it was quoting the great one of the south known only across the land as irlmin who,s word i took as gospel when he spoke of plastic bodied,wooden floored coupes,but maybe he is not as knowledgable on this variant as others,if i offended then accept my most humble apologies,kmg
irlmin
NON Member

Post by irlmin »

[quote="kerryminigringo"]it was quoting the great one of the south known only across the land as irlmin who,s word i took as gospel when he spoke of plastic bodied,wooden floored coupes,but maybe he is not as knowledgable on this variant as others,if i offended then accept my most humble apologies,kmg[/quote]

I think you will find there is the afforementioned 'Wood' and indeed metal bonded into areas of the monocoque of the 'plastic bodied coupe' in areas of high stress . In fact the 'Great one of the South ' met the Creator of the Mini Marcos the late Mr Frank Costin many years ago when he lived in Rosscarbery in 'The Peoples Republic ' . A very interesting Man indeed with lots of tales to tell , He was involved at the time with a few projects including the TMC Costin which was built in Wexford .as well as a few 'aircraft' projects , I now wish I had asked a lot more questions at the time .
Gerard
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
1984 Mini Sprite
Weber45

Just to set things straight,

Frank Costin was the COS in MARCOS, the MAR being Jem Marsh, but I am afraid that Mr. Costin had little to do with the Mini Marcos.

The Mini Marcos evolved from the DART, designed by Dizzy Addicott and Paul Emery. the DART was a metal bodied special based on a Mini Van floor pan With the introduction of fiberglass it was transformed into the Mini Jem by Addicott and Emery .

Jem Marsh enlisted the help of Brian Moulton and Malcolm Newell to design the Mini Marcos, based on the Dart idea.

So who is the creator of the Mini Marcos?

It all goes back to Dizzy Addicott.

On the wood front, the Mini Marcos is a fiberglass monocoque that has metal reinforcing plates bonded into the laminate of the shell at the subframe pickup points, the shock mounts and cross-member at the front ( one piece in early cars, 2 in later models) and the door hinge mounts on the shell only.
However wood can be bonded to the shell to allow for the fixing of interior panels and falce boot floor.