Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Members Gallery

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Members Gallery

Post by woody »

Just been to the members gallery expecting to see the cars of the members whos names appeared on the list but instead found country roads ,MTM, SHEEP and other cars that don't belong to any members. Is this section not ment to be a showcase of the cars that belong to members of the IMOC and to encourage others to join us. What are other peoples opinions on this?

wzd345
NON Member

members gallery

Post by wzd345 »

My apologies for putting up photos of my car on the gallery, I was not aware that it was restricted to members only. Thought you might like to see my weekend warrior, properly built Miglia Spec. Historic racer Austin Cooper 1969, 1430cc, 10in wheels, floor start, one seat in the office, single purpose vehicle.

As for opinions on who uses the forum, here is mine. About 18 months ago, when I was a member of IMOC, I put up a strong argument on the forum in favour of restricting access to members only. The thrust of my point was that if it was restricted to members only, then those who wished to avail of its facilities would have to join the club. They would have a genuine interest in the club & contribute to its activities. It would also help to eliminate undesirable posting. I was roundly shouted down & the general view was that all were welcome & might join up. I was happy with that. Now it appears that as a non member I post my photos & there is a possible objection. You cant have it both ways.

Anyhow, I would be pleased to hear how many of the contributors to the forum last year were IMOC members & if the policy of open participation has increased membership overall on a year to year analysis. I would be prepared to bet it has not. As I see the forum now, compared with when it first started up, its a general chatroom into which the vast majoritity of people dip whenever they like, without any real interest in the club or its well being and without paying an annual sub. Is this what you want???

If you dont want my photos on the forum, I am happy if you remove them, but dont lose sight of the objective.

Any comments??? Its your club.
irlmin
NON Member

Post by irlmin »

Ronan , are your comments your own opinion OR as a member of the national commitee ? , My views on the abuse of the forum are well known and I think there is a far greater problem with this than some photos in a Gallery , perhaps you should be thanking People for submitting their photos and also thanking Simon on a good job with phase 1 of the website re-vamp .unless something is done soon with the forum abuse ie advertising by non members and advertising very dubious cars etc it is only a short time before the club will be part of a legal action by some disgruntled purchaser of one of these cars , yes I am sure it won't stick in the long run BUT what will the cost of defending the club be ? .as regards the Gallery I know most of the People to whom you refer and in fact they have been members in the past --perhaps it would be better to ask these people why they have not renewed their membership .
Gerard
BlackSe7en
IMOC Paid Member

Post by BlackSe7en »

Its very hard to disagree with all of the above comments, but just concentrating on the Gallaries. I think the Members cars should only contain pictures of our Minis. If you want to publish pictures of your Mini/s (no matter what condition ) then do so here. For example Eamonn Ledwidge's pictures could be expanded to show the inside , The engine bay etc, closeup's of any tweek's he made to get around any problems he encountered . The picture behind my name shows me standing beside a lit-up mini at one of the IMM's , I would have thought that my Moke or/and Seven would have been displayed. The IMM photo should be included in the Events Gallery - this I think is the point Woody is trying to make ( his opinion was personal , not Nat. Comm.). Simon is doing a good job, but can get a little guidence from comments here.
miniman35
Comittee Member
Whats your location?: Cork
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: Cooper, Automatic and Clubman Estate

Post by miniman35 »

The only way I can put pictures of members cars on the site, is by the members sending in their pictures to me. I am happy to do so but I need the pictures.
wzd345
NON Member

members pictures

Post by wzd345 »

I am happy to forward additional pictures of DZU 499 if the forum would like to have them posted. Additionally, would be pleased to give a full oversight of the project from inception to last year's campaign & plans for the current season.
miniman35
Comittee Member

Post by miniman35 »

For the moment I have divided the gallery into 3 section. I talked to Kieran about this. The third section is called GUEST. Non members can send us their photos of their Minis. What we have decided is to display these pictures and after 2/3 months. We'll review and design the hole gallery again.

But why is it that non members are sending their photos and not our own members. The gallery must be one of the most visited pages on the site and yet we only have 6 members with their Minis on it. Maybe we should look at getting members to bring there Minis to a monthly meeting and take their pictures. This way we can approve the Members Gallery. I have even sent up a email address for people to send the photos to. I'm not saying this is the answer, but its a quick fix until some thing is done.
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Thanks for the replies.
The opinion I expressed are my own and not that of the committee.

The point I was making refaired to the title of this section "members gallery" as opposed to the general "gallery" and what is the cryteria for posting to either. I have no problem with non members having access to areas of the site so long as we also have members only areas . Why is this gallery called members gallery if it contains posts from non members and photos of non members?

What I would like to see is a gallery controled by the webmaster that contained only curent members cars so I could see what other cars are in the club.This would be useful for thoes members who don't get to travel around to all the meetings and would also show non members the standard of cars in the club.
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Between an A series and a G13B
What Minis have you?: 61 van,68 MKII,
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

Post by kerryminigringo »

i think that simons idea about taking pics at the monthly meeting would be a good one because althougt i have all the equipment i.e. digital camera and laptop i,m lacking the knowhow to send them and i,m sure that its not that hard but i just don,t know the exact way to do this and that other members are in the same boat so maybe its one way of getting the members cars on
dublincooper
NON Member

Post by dublincooper »

kerrymingo,
To assit you with sending your pictures in. I bought a device recently in a vodafone store called a memory transfer stick. You simply take your memory card out of the camera (or phone) and slot it into this stick and plug it into the USB port on your laptop. This will then load all the pictures straight onto your (or anyones) pc without the need for any cables or software. You can then simply email them as an attachment to who ever you need to so they can be posted. The device costs around 20 to 30 euro.
miniman35
Comittee Member

Post by miniman35 »

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Just been busy and away for a few nights. If you have alot of pictures, you can email them to me. The only problem is that if you are emailing a lot of pictures in one go. To save time, I would use a broadband connection. Or if you want you can post them to me on a CD. I'd be happy to help you with any questions you may have. Just ring me on 086-8804800 or email me at webmaster@irishminis.ie
nannyc
NON Member

Post by nannyc »

personally i think you all do a really good job with this web site, i'm not a member but i still think this web site is realy good. abuse should be dealt with in the way that the moderators see fit, they are in charge of the site so really it is up to them. i'm sure we all have opinions on this but i for one think that the revamp is looking good and for that i want to say thanks for al the work and the info. i bought my mini off this site, in my opinion when buying a car from anyone you have to be careful.
life is to short to argue. :wink: :wink: :P