Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Engine Misfiring

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

city998
NON Member

Engine Misfiring

Post by city998 »

I have a recent problem with my 998 engine. At times it misses a beat intermittently. When warm, under hard acceleration (up a hill or accelerating on the flat) it can feel almost like it's running out of fuel. I set the timing last weekend but dwell is 59° - 60° vs a spec of 54° with a tolerance of 5°. Is that likely to be contributing to the misfire or should I be looking at the SU? Any ideas? :?

'90 Mini City - No More!
just_st3v3n
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
Region: Northern
What Minis have you?: 1989 red mayfair aka project nancy
Modifications: Nancy is deseamed and will be getting some sort of modern engine someday

Re: Engine Misfiring

Post by just_st3v3n »

just something to check happened on my mini and had the same sort of effect your talking about:
check to see that the fuel pipe isnt touching of the manifold, was the case in mine and the harder the engine worked the hotter the manifold got and basicly evaporated most of the fuel before it got to the engine.... :?

steven
some day....
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

The dwell angle isn't to far out and only becomes critical at high revs but if you have a dwell meter why not set it correct. Have you checked the oil level in the dashpot.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
city998
NON Member

Post by city998 »

Thanks, guys. My fuel line hasn't moved and isn't on the manifold so vapour lock is not a likely cause. I'll reset the dwell this weekend and think it may be a factor as I noticed today it does seem to occur at higher revs. It just seemed that more dwell=fatter spark so I wasn't looking at that the first time.

I'll post results when I have some to report!! 8)
'90 Mini City - No More!