Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

NCT Emissions

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

BERT
NON Member
What Minis have you?: Mini miglea 1480cc

81' clubby estate

Re: NCT Emissions

Post by BERT »

I think the limit was 750 when i was doing it,il check i had an sw98 cam,i tested it in 3 places where i live and it would just about get trew but when id drive to the test centre it wouldnt pass

BERT
NON Member
What Minis have you?: Mini miglea 1480cc

81' clubby estate

Post by BERT »

found the old report limit was 750ppm and it went trew at 428,but on the failed certs it was 1200 and higher,in 94 they get even tighter
kona
NON Member

Post by kona »

How did you manage to drop the HC down so much? 1200 to 428 is quite a big drop!

They couldnt even get a stable reading from mine, it was all over the place. Ive no idea how he got it to read 1124PPM but Id like him to do it again :mrgreen:
kona
NON Member

Post by kona »

OK, the plan of action is, Im going to open up the gap on the tappets, this will hopefully help eliminate the overlap issue, or at least stunt the problem. I was thinking doubling the proper gap out to 28-30 thou. I was going to go much bigger but Im not risking pushrods bending or popping out, so I reckon that 30 thou is the max Im comfortable with. I'm going to retard the timing a few degrees too.

Hopefully this approach will get it through. If it doesnt, Im just guna put a cat onto it and then put it through.
kona
NON Member

Post by kona »

Opened up the valve clearances to 35thou. Retarded the timing too. Opened up the plug gap to 50thou. Fingers crossed it makes it.
kona
NON Member

Post by kona »

Pass :mrgreen:

HC were 1094
CO was 0.66%

So anybody looking for what to do with a long duration 1380 A-series. You open up the valve clearances to 35 thou, make sure your mixture is spot on, and open the gap on your plugs to 50 thou.
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

Good man, now reset the whole lot and don't worry about it for another 2 years. 8)

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

great news! well done and enjoy the new found freedom of the road,
kona
NON Member

Post by kona »

Reset everything back. But its got a slight misfire, at 3k. Topped up the dashpot oil, checked everything obvious, cant find it. It has gotten a bit better when i closed the gap on the plugs and drove it for a bit. Maybe it just needs to settle down.

I have to do it all again next july, they only gave the NCT till 08-10, as the car was first regged in 08-91 and its the first NCT. But now I know how to get it through :mrgreen:

God just thinking of the hassle free motoring, no crapping myself at check points :mrgreen: Its great :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the help lads.
BlackSe7en
IMOC Paid Member

Post by BlackSe7en »

If your Mini was first registered in 08-'91 then your NCT renewal date should be 08-2011 (4 yrs. from 1st Registration and every 2 yrs. after that). If your Mini is an Import then it goes from the date it was first registered in any country.
kona
NON Member

Post by kona »

It was first registered in this country in may 2007. But The only mention of first registration on the NCT cert is the 2-8-91 which was when it was first regged in Britain.

I asked about this and the tester said that its the same with all imports.