Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Angel eyes

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

em1
NON Member

Angel eyes

Post by em1 »

Hi guys are angel eyes road legal in Ireland?

StanO'Toole
NON Member
Whats your location?: South Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1995 Mini Mayfair
1994 Mini Sprite

Re: Angel eyes

Post by StanO'Toole »

Yeap, I'v had many gards compliment when my mate was driving my Mini for a few weeks. Sure all the Mercedes and BMW's have them

StanO'Toole :mrgreen:
Getting old is a must but growing up is optional!

sanguiss
NON Member

Post by sanguiss »

I'm not disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing, but angel eyes that you can put on your mini are usually not E marked, which means that they are not legal in EU, and the car will not pass the NCT. Now, the fact that the gards accept them and don't give you a ticket is a different story. The other thing is that most of the angel eyes lights that you see for sale on the internet don't have the right hand drive (RHD) beam, basically all the new car headlights project a higher beam on the right hand side of the road, or left side of the road if you are in the continent, so that you better see pedestrians and cyclists. This said, if you have a vintage car, you don't have to do the NCT, so virtually youo can put whatever you want on. As far as I know spot lights as well are not legal.
I just bought a pair of angel eys which should be RHD from minispeed, I'll let you know if they really are RHD and how they work.
Sergio.
terminiator
NON Member

Post by terminiator »

Yes I've heard the angel lights scatter the light and don't give a directional beam so have to be changed to the originals for Mot's and the like
Tomini
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Tomini »

hello all.
i have angel eyes on my car and its after passing the nct
they tested the lights and all was fine :D
Buddy
NON Member

Post by Buddy »

what exactly is the "e mark"

i have the crystal clear headlights (but kept the original headlights aswell just incase)

the crystal clear ones only have some lines going across the glass horizontally, thats it
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

www.tuv.com wrote: The "e" mark is the proof of compliance with directives (laws) required by the European Union. The Council of European communities in Brussels issues these directives and all members must accept approved products.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
sanguiss
NON Member

Post by sanguiss »

Hi guys, update on the angel eyes:
I got them from Jonspeed, put them on, it's straight forward, the only thing is that you have to cut 2 edges of the metal bowl to fit the 2 sidelights.
They come with blue green and red rubber tubes to have the side light beam in Colour, but I wouldn't bother, you can hardly see the lights then at dusk, and when you have the main lights on you can't see the Colour anymore; plus, the rubber that goes around the side light bulb won't cover the front of the bulb, so you have blu all around and bright white right in front of the bulbs.
Compared to the original lights from 1974 they make hell of a lot more light, definitely a good upgrade, but they don't have the right hand drive beam.
StanO'Toole
NON Member
1994 Mini Sprite

Post by StanO'Toole »

They come with blue green and red rubber tubes to have the side light beam in colour
I got yellow with mine to :lol: I didn't bother my arse putting them as the rubber looks like it would just melt and it would look crap but I was happy enough when I put them on! Look cool -

antodeco
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Ballyfermot, Dublin 10
What Minis have you?: '89 Mayfair
'80 1275GT
'79 Unknown!
'76 Clubman

Post by antodeco »

Is there much light off the angel eyes? I was thinking of upgrading the lights (prefer HIDs to be honest).
-Mmmmmmmmmini-
StanO'Toole
NON Member
1994 Mini Sprite

Post by StanO'Toole »

There is s**t all light of the angle eyes to be honest. There more of a show thing but I think they look cool at dusk. I will say I prefer the HID's but it was either 50euro for the angel eyes or 150euro for the HID kit for the Mini!

antodeco
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Ballyfermot, Dublin 10
What Minis have you?: '89 Mayfair
'80 1275GT
'79 Unknown!
'76 Clubman

Post by antodeco »

Do you have to upgrade to H4's before you can put in the HID kit, or is it a straight swap?
-Mmmmmmmmmini-
briain
NON Member
Whats your location?: Glenageary, South Dublin

Post by briain »

StanO'Toole wrote:There is s**t all light of the angle eyes to be honest. There more of a show thing but I think they look cool at dusk. I will say I prefer the HID's but it was either 50euro for the angel eyes or 150euro for the HID kit for the Mini!

Check out ebay friend got HID kits for about €20 a go (and they even work) there some no name chinese brand