Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

distributor question...

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

just_st3v3n
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
Region: Northern
What Minis have you?: 1989 red mayfair aka project nancy
Modifications: Nancy is deseamed and will be getting some sort of modern engine someday

distributor question...

Post by just_st3v3n »

i took my distributor out of the car and changed to electronic ignition, reset the timing but the car still isnt running quite the same...
could i have put the distributor in wrong as in 180 degrees out, or would the engine not run at all in that case??
gonna start eliminating things tomoro, plugs, leads, valve clearances, timing (again)

steven

some day....
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Re: distributor question...

Post by woody »

When you say you reset the timming did you put the dizzy back where it was or did you use a timing gun? If it was 180 out it wouldn't run. Check your rotor is sitting right.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
joe f murray
NON Member

Post by joe f murray »

hi if i was you id get it checked proparly. cos i set my own timing up with a timing light and when i brought it to mervin johnston he checked it and it was miles out. but to me and every one else it seemed fine. it was supposed to be 26 degrees but it was 54degrees out. he said if i had to keep drive it that way it would have done in the big end bearings and crank. just to let you know get it checked by a professional. it could save you a lot of hassil. :)
just_st3v3n
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
Region: Northern
What Minis have you?: 1989 red mayfair aka project nancy
Modifications: Nancy is deseamed and will be getting some sort of modern engine someday

Post by just_st3v3n »

woody wrote:When you say you reset the timming did you put the dizzy back where it was or did you use a timing gun? If it was 180 out it wouldn't run. Check your rotor is sitting right.
i just put it back on, guess it must have been right way round otherwise it wouldnt have started and then i set the timing using a timing gun..
by saying timing gun it isnt the best so mite just take joe's advice and see if someone has a proper gun and knows what they are at....

cheers for reply lads

steven
some day....
keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

cant comment about your specific issue, but i do know that correct timing is critical for the mini engine, if you want to enjoy the best performance and economy.
D.M.G.T
NON Member
Whats your location?: Lismoy
Newtownforbes
Region: Western

Post by D.M.G.T »

love you new profile pic keith
TONY R
NON Member

Post by TONY R »

Depending on the type of electronic kit you have fitted you may need a ballist resistor and a different coil . The timming will depend on the engine you have its not the same for all minis .
Some other factors like advance curve , type af distributor ,unleaded fuel will have a bearing on it