Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Coilovers

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

briain
NON Member
Whats your location?: Glenageary, South Dublin
Region: Eastern

Coilovers

Post by briain »

Hi
This is my first post had a mini for a few months now and am looking to do a few upgrades including the suspension. So I'm looking at putting on a coilover kit. Everything I've read is either very positive or very negative about them their doesn't seem to be a middle ground on this. So who has them? what do they think of them? and what are the alternatives? I'm looking for a better ride quality mainly because of speed bumps and the like without screwing the handling up. All info is appreciated

DaveC
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Dublin

Re: Coilovers

Post by DaveC »

Welcome to the forum 8)
I have no experience of coilovers but somebody will have
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

Have you considered the Moulton Smooth-a-ride kit, I think Zak has them fitted.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
briain
NON Member

Post by briain »

The Marcos Graveyard wrote:Have you considered the Moulton Smooth-a-ride kit, I think Zak has them fitted.
I've heard of them but don't know much about them, but anything is an option
StanO'Toole
NON Member
Whats your location?: South Dublin
What Minis have you?: 1995 Mini Mayfair
1994 Mini Sprite

Post by StanO'Toole »

If you were to go on to a Mini parts web-site ie. Minisport and find an item of interest just open a new tab and google it. It seems to help me when I'm in doubt.

StanO'Toole :mrgreen:
Getting old is a must but growing up is optional!

StanO'Toole :mrgreen:
coop
NON Member
Whats your location?: Wexford
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: miniless

Post by coop »

I dont know about the coilovers but I have fitted the minitastic fast road coil spring conversion to my car about six months ago with lowered gaz dampers and the ride quality is much improved and the car doesnt roll much around corners when I firm up the dampers a bit to 6 on the front and 3 on the back. He also sells soft springs, which are very comfortable but body roll is too much in my opinion

http://www.minitastic.co.uk/home1.htm
hughesmarkie
NON Member

Post by hughesmarkie »

I personally prefare coilovers on my modified mini's (mainly for track use or weekend warrior) as it allows me to ajust the spring rates I can use that combined with the rest of the geometry to give a nice pointy car with just about zero understeer and what I feel from using both is better balance!

For a pure road car though I wouldnt fit coilovers as they do stress the shell a little with 4 people and a boot full of stuff :mrgreen: You also don't necesserally need, or indeed want, a razor sharp car for road use... or do you :twisted:
sanguiss
NON Member

Post by sanguiss »

I was talking to Jocelyn, according to him the coilovers will destroy the subframes in the long run, this said though I don't have any experience with them.
briain
NON Member

Post by briain »

hughesmarkie wrote:I personally prefare coilovers on my modified mini's (mainly for track use or weekend warrior) as it allows me to ajust the spring rates I can use that combined with the rest of the geometry to give a nice pointy car with just about zero understeer and what I feel from using both is better balance!

For a pure road car though I wouldnt fit coilovers as they do stress the shell a little with 4 people and a boot full of stuff :mrgreen: You also don't necesserally need, or indeed want, a razor sharp car for road use... or do you :twisted:
Were they hard to setup? I've actually gone and ordered them. I want a fairly sharp car don't need it as a daily driver got my bike for that so its more about fun. Have you had any problems with damage to the subframes?
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

What poundage springs did you order ?

Are all your bearings and bushes in good order, knuckle joints not worn, have you hi-lo's fitted ? Which shocks have you gone with ?

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
briain
NON Member

Post by briain »

The Marcos Graveyard wrote:What poundage springs did you order ?

Are all your bearings and bushes in good order, knuckle joints not worn, have you hi-lo's fitted ? Which shocks have you gone with ?
I ordered the gaz kit from hudderfield spares. So didn't have options on springs, nothing looks to bad bearing and knuckle joint wise but I wont know till I take it apart
hughesmarkie
NON Member

Post by hughesmarkie »

Anytime Ive fitted coilovers as TMG was hinting to you :wink: Always check the overall condition of your suspension components, Ive always replaced any of my bushings or worn suspension parts when fitting them, TBH Ive never heard of coilovers damaging subframes! I always replace the rear with a beam axle, does anyone know where the damage occurs, is it in the same location or is it a fitting issue?
regards, Mark
briain
NON Member

Post by briain »

hughesmarkie wrote:Anytime Ive fitted coilovers as TMG was hinting to you :wink: Always check the overall condition of your suspension components, Ive always replaced any of my bushings or worn suspension parts when fitting them, TBH Ive never heard of coilovers damaging subframes! I always replace the rear with a beam axle, does anyone know where the damage occurs, is it in the same location or is it a fitting issue?
regards, Mark
Cool ordered the beam aswell. have heard of clearance issues if you don't get offset brackets with the kit. It probably a good idea to replace bushing should of ordered them with the kit but didn't think of it :roll: