Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Respray price

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

coop
NON Member
Whats your location?: Wexford
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: miniless

Respray price

Post by coop »

My car has developed quite a bit of rust in the last couple of years and I got a quote of 1500:shock: to respray the car excluding the roof which unfortunately is needed due to rust all over the car, a lot of which I never knew about :oops:

I have some pics showing the worst bits, which is mainly the scuttle. I dont think its too bad as 2 years ago when the windscreen was replaced there was no rust but its been leaking ever since due to not being sealed properly. The passenger side and drivers side a panels and under one headlight are also showning signs of bubbling. Do you think this is a good price and does the scuttle panel look salvagable?

scuttle

inside car

passenger door

bootlid

drivers door

drivers wing

rear window

Darran
Comittee Member
Whats your location?: Abbeyleix
Co. Laois
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1961 Austin Seven,1982 Mini Van,1980 Clubman Estate,1982 Clubman Estate,1986 Mini City,1991 Mini Neon,1994 Mini Cabriolet,1996 Mini Cooper,1997 Mini Cooper Sportspack,1999 Mini Cooper Sportspack

Re: Respray price

Post by Darran »

Hi Coop,

That price doesnt sound too bad for a respray and the rust repairs, i got my mini resprayed last year at a cost of 2000 euro incl the roof. It might be better to replace the scuttle panel under the front windscreen, as this could be quite nasty once the window is out, i got one and the piece of panel was only 80 euro i think.

Darran.
Darran Hutchinson
PRO / Event Coordinator
Irish Mini Owners Club
ian o B
NON Member
Whats your location?: strokestown road
co. longford
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1995 jap-imported spi cooper
1974 Australian clubman panel van - still in oz
Modifications: Adjustable gaz shocks and adjusta ride height, 6x12 deepdish minilights ultimate engine steady, grp 2 arches, maniflow exhaust.

Post by ian o B »

1500 seems to be the average price for a respray, Rory Kelly in longford resprayed my dads beetle for the same price BUT it was only the outside, we had to do under the bonnet,boot and inside etc. The finish is savage and he has the latest booth and stuff...

that rust dosent seem very bad, but when ya go rootin yal prob find its worse :lol: :lol:

sum1 more expert on restoration mite be able ta tell ya if its worth replacin..i dont tink so tho :) hope this bit of info is of sum use ta ya :roll:
ian o b
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Coop,

That Mini is rusting in some places where Minis don't usually rust e.g. at the top of the driver's door below the window. I would assume it's a UK import that has been resprayed at some point in the past.

Billy
coop
NON Member

Post by coop »

Thanks for the replies, most of the rust is only surface and there is no filler anywhere so hopefully no nasty surprises but I was hoping the scuttle is ok since I think there is a lot of labour involved in replacing the panel.

Anyway I was thinking of replacing the standard plastic arches with group 2 arches from huddersfield spares with the chrome trim. Does anyone have any experience with the quality of these?
coop
NON Member

Post by coop »

Billy wrote:Coop,

That Mini is rusting in some places where Minis don't usually rust e.g. at the top of the driver's door below the window. I would assume it's a UK import that has been resprayed at some point in the past.

Billy
Thats correct Billy, it was badly resprayed last year, a panels, both doors and the scuttle. He just sanded the rust and painted over it. The drivers door had started to rust around 3 weeks after being painted :evil: . And I also imported it from london in 2004
keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

coop, my '93 mini, also BRG/WHITE, UK import, is also rusting in similar places.... more under the headlights, less on the top of the doors. After looking carefully, it was in fact resprayed before. And the rere valance was done too.

I'm looking at 1 door skin, 1 "A" panel, and a scuttle panel (? internal panel at rere of wheel-well) as well as loads of scraping and grinding.
I would have thought 1500 - 2000 to be a fair enough price, *depending on what is done*. I'm looking to get a full waxoil injection job done directly after painting.
Last time i had this done, on another car, i reduced the cost a bit by stripping the interior, glass, seats, carpet, dash, bumpers, grille, lights and towing the car to the paintshop.
coop
NON Member

Post by coop »

for 1500 the car is being completly stripped all glass removed including front and rear screens. The surface rust is going to be completly grinded back and then treated and hopefully the scuttle can be repaired. No waxoyl is being done but the floors and sills and subframes and wheelarches are rust free
keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

who's doing it for you?
coop
NON Member

Post by coop »

He is based in ballycogley, wexford and has a new paint booth and good equipment. Im afraid I dont know his name, forgot to ask :oops: He repairs crashed cars and paints his own fair share of bodykitted bangers. He has painted minis before and is currently working on one at the moment
DaveC
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Dublin

Post by DaveC »

I was quoted €2,000 for respraying my GT, so it sounds ok