Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Corolla Twin Cam / Lancer Evo

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

DaveC
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern

Corolla Twin Cam / Lancer Evo

Post by DaveC »

I was out in the car this evening and spotted a few of these about, and it made me wonder, how would a good 1300 Mini compare with either of these in a straight line sprint or in a fast cross country run, hypothetically speaking of course!

Anybody any experience of either RWD Twin Cams or Lancer Evo's?

Merlin
NON Member
What Minis have you?: Mk1 Austin Mini,Mk3 Layland Mini,72Van,81 Clubman Estate, 87 Race carand a 2000 Rover Cooper.
Modifications: Mk1: 998 with flat top slipper pistons, 286 cam, 12G940 head 11:1 compression twin inch and a half SU's 5 speed gearbox. Mk3 998 automatic no mods, 72Van is a pile of rust, , Racer is being built but has the works and the 2000 rover cooper needs an engine again :(

Re: Corolla Twin Cam / Lancer Evo

Post by Merlin »

Lancer Evo's with a propper driver not just some punk kid would annihilate a mini In a straight line run
Have no experience of Corolla Twin Cams
Deadly Dave
NON Member
What Minis have you?: 1990 Black Checkmate 998cc

Post by Deadly Dave »

Merlin wrote:Lancer Evo's with a propper driver not just some punk kid would annihilate a mini In a straight line run
Have no experience of Corolla Twin Cams
Same thing with the Corolla.
Deadly Dave Image
joebe1
NON Member
Whats your location?: Carrick on shannon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1980 mini saloon (fip) 1275cc
1969 Clubman gt historic rally car, 1380 c/r s/c dog box, split 45 webbers
1980 irish clubman estate
1969 mk2 retro rally car 1293 s/c gearbox

Post by joebe1 »

However, thickness, crazy drivin, and a dry road, i stayed in front of an evo on a back road one night :D 8) :shock:
DaveC
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Dublin

Post by DaveC »

I was filling up with petrol earlier and saw one Twin Cam struggling for grip accelerating on a wet road, and another guy who took off out of a junction with masses of wheelspin. Both seemed a bit like too much power and not enough grip or sense. It struck me that a Mini would have done better

The Lancer was travelling around a wet roundabout fairly quick, but I pulled up beside him at the next lights. He took off fairly quickly when the lights changed, reminded me a bit of seeing a Sierra Cosworth take off. I wouldn't like to have tried keeping up with him in a Mini though
Deadly Dave
NON Member

Post by Deadly Dave »

joebe1 wrote:However, thickness, crazy drivin, and a dry road, i stayed in front of an evo on a back road one night :D 8) :shock:
What you realy mean is that you blocked him :lol: :lol:
Deadly Dave Image
Cleancar.ie
NON Member

Post by Cleancar.ie »

I have owned 4 Minis in the past, and 3 RWD Corolla's. I have driven an Evo 6 but never owned one.

I would have to say that a RWD Corolla is similar in a lot of ways to the Mini with regard to handling. Like a Mini, the Corolla gives a deceptive feeling of speed - you might be doing 60mph, but it feels like 80. The handling is amazing on the corolla's. A lot of people only see them doing do-nuts and 'Drifting', but they actaully handle great, and won't stick the ass out unless you really provoke it.

The Evo is just a mechanical animal, it will out handle and out run a standard mini on most surfaces i reckon, but won't put half as much of a smile on your face as the Mini.

I currently have an M3 Evo in my driveway which i am selling at the moment, to go back and buy either a Mini or a RWD Corolla - i couldn't pick a favourite between them, they are both just a great fun involving drive.
Superior Car Care Products - http://www.cleancar.ie
hughesmarkie
NON Member

Post by hughesmarkie »

[quote="Merlin"]Lancer Evo's with a propper driver not just some punk kid would annihilate a mini In a straight line run
Have no experience of Corolla Twin Cams[/quote]

I have to agree Paul, and Evo std has a 1/4 mile of low 13secs and only a handfull of minis as we all know get faster than this! off the lights the evo will have you every time with the 4x4 but from 2nd to third gear on full boost Ive scared quite a few Evo's, Type R's and twin Cams... in the turbo :mrgreen:

TBH they would still have me both top end and 0-60 but its good fun in a mini :twisted:

oh and this is in the 1293tubo so its still a 1.3 :D
Merlin
NON Member
What Minis have you?: Mk1 Austin Mini,Mk3 Layland Mini,72Van,81 Clubman Estate, 87 Race carand a 2000 Rover Cooper.
Modifications: Mk1: 998 with flat top slipper pistons, 286 cam, 12G940 head 11:1 compression twin inch and a half SU's 5 speed gearbox. Mk3 998 automatic no mods, 72Van is a pile of rust, , Racer is being built but has the works and the 2000 rover cooper needs an engine again :(

Post by Merlin »

It really is all about the driver I have managed to give a few civic a run for there money in the G-wagon which handles like the QE2.
StanO'Toole
NON Member
Whats your location?: South Dublin
What Minis have you?: 1995 Mini Mayfair
1994 Mini Sprite

Post by StanO'Toole »

What kind of G-wagon do you have Merlin? We drove over to Germany and got onne about a year and a half ago. It's an 04-d 4.0 twin turbo and would donkey all my mates cars - 2.2 v-tecs, ae86, 2.0 Skylines and all 5taht kind of jazz!

And my own Mini when it was driving had the 2.0 Skyline till 50mph in the wet but then Stud didn't stand a chance!

StanO'Toole :mrgreen:
Last edited by StanO'Toole on Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getting old is a must but growing up is optional!

StanO'Toole :mrgreen:
Deadly Dave
NON Member

Post by Deadly Dave »

Merlin wrote:It really is all about the driver I have managed to give a few civic a run for there money in the G-wagon which handles like the QE2.
Do you off road it ??

I think the Mini wins on fun factor anyway.
Deadly Dave Image
Merlin
NON Member

Post by Merlin »

Its a long wheel base GT model with the Turbo sprinter engine in. Its off the road these days for some fixing but should be up an running again, never been off road on it :)
hughesmarkie
NON Member

Post by hughesmarkie »

[quote="Merlin"]It really is all about the driver I have managed to give a few civic a run for there money in the G-wagon which handles like the QE2.[/quote]

G-Wagons are class... you always suprise me Paul, How many cars do you actually have :lol:
Cleancar.ie
NON Member

Post by Cleancar.ie »

I actually saw a G-Wagon on the way home this evening - first time i have seen one in years, a coinsidence after reading this today :)

It was a white one, 01-D-???? in Passing through New Ross heading out Waterford Direction.

Yummy
Superior Car Care Products - http://www.cleancar.ie
joebe1
NON Member
Whats your location?: Carrick on shannon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1980 mini saloon (fip) 1275cc
1969 Clubman gt historic rally car, 1380 c/r s/c dog box, split 45 webbers
1980 irish clubman estate
1969 mk2 retro rally car 1293 s/c gearbox

Post by joebe1 »

[quote="Deadly Dave"][quote="joebe1"]However, thickness, crazy drivin, and a dry road, i stayed in front of an evo on a back road one night :D 8) :shock:[/quote]
What you realy mean is that you blocked him :lol: :lol:[/quote]

could nt have put it better myself :shock: :lol: :lol:
kona
NON Member

Post by kona »

Me and a Mitsi Colt had a straight line race last nite. He was in front and me behind, I was keeping up until about 120KMPH, but I tailed off because I like my license :oops:

I have to say, I dont think the mini had much more left to give, I defo wouldnt have had enough left to overtake. This is a 1380, Im not even sure if the mitsi was a mivec, twas a 97 Irish car.

I need more power!

But in the end a mini isnt about that.
92Coop
NON Member

Post by 92Coop »

Merlin
NON Member

Post by Merlin »

no no no no through the lot in the bin here is how its done
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOYhyl8E2M