Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Do I need to tune?

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

dragonfly78
NON Member

Do I need to tune?

Post by dragonfly78 »

Hi all - my first post so hi :D

I am the proud new owner of a 96D 1275CC Mini Cooper. It is a Japanese import but I am 2nd owner in Ireland. It's very understated and hasn't been enhanced as far as I can tell.

I noticed the other day that when it is idling in neutral the rev counter every few seconds increases very slightly and then drops back. This cycle seems to repeat. I've been told that the car might need to be tuned. if this is the case, is it a DIY job, or who should I contact for a job like that? And will it cost me much?

Also (this might be related, but maybe not), I noticed that when I push the accelerator there is a delay before the engine revs. Not even a second, but a slight delay all the same. Is this normal? If not, any idea why it's not as responsive as it might be? This is my first mini so I'm not sure of it's characteristics :D

Many thanks in advance!

CJ

Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Re: Do I need to tune?

Post by Billy »

Dragonfly,

Welcome to the forum. Whereabouts are you based and we can hopefully put you in the direction of someone who might be able to help you with your Mini?

Billy
keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

welcome to the forum. and congratulations on your first mini!
later minis like yours have a ECU ( computer ) controlling the engine functions, fed by a bunch of sensors including a O2 sensor in the exhaust.
sometimes the sensors fail, sometimes the pipes feeding the sensors fail, sometimes stuff just needs cleaning or changing (plugs for example)
its most likely something quite straight forward: as billy mentioned depending where you are, help is probably close at hand!
dragonfly78
NON Member

Post by dragonfly78 »

Thanks!

I am based on Dublin's north side.

Would the two problems I mentioned be related?

Cheers,
CJ
keith
NON Member

Post by keith »

quite likely
dragonfly78
NON Member

Post by dragonfly78 »

Hi all

OK, so I checked out the air filter today (very dirty) and the spark plugs (look so-so) and even carefully ran the engline with no air filter and the tuning issue still appears to be there. I will change the air filter and plugs myself, but I am not too hopeful it will sort out the problem.

So I guess I will probably need a few numbers to call to get a quote to get her tuned up. As I said I'm in the north inner city. Any and all suggestions welcome, bearing in mind the financial climate :roll:

I can use a computer, so I don't know if there is a DIY option available if I can get the right software? Anyone tried this, and would they recommend it? Am I crazy even thinking about it? :D

Cheers,

CJ
keith
NON Member

Post by keith »

computers:
rover made a thing called a "test-book" to talk to the ECU in the car, through the diagnostic port. it was hugely expensive at the time but they sometimes turn up on ebay and the like. Probably not worth getting for an individual, but might be interesting to consider as a "club purchase" although it would be a nightmare to manage.

some dealers still have them although some are wary to guarantee any result. My understanding is that rover updated the software in the "test-book" over the years and it may have broken or crippled its usefulness for minis.
remember that this yoke was to do all ECU equipped rover cars.

Having said that, i was quoted €90 for a diagnostic check from a main dealer on the basis of "no work, no fee"
at the end of the day, the faulty sensors or plumbing (assuming thats what's bad) still have to be replaced: I think they are necessary to clear any faults conditions held in the ECU as well.

there are "third party" code readers, but i've no view on them at all.

on a related note i read some place that the EU were looking at insisting that the coms protocols in use by vehicle ECU's be standardised and published. not much good to us here but might be useful in tweaking your 2025 electric scooter!
jocelynn
IMOC Paid Member

Post by jocelynn »

Give paul kelly at minfix a ring

His number is 087 2597085
dragonfly78
NON Member

Post by dragonfly78 »

Hi all

Just thought I'd post an update. I changed the air filter and spark plugs last weekend and I'm happy to say that the uneven idling has cleared up about 90% of the time! I had it happen once the other night on a 15 minute trip after I had parked for 5 mins and restarted the car, but after that it seemed very even.

I'll keep an eye on it. Many thanks for everyone's help!

Cheers,
Ciaran