Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Hello!!!

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

minima
NON Member

Hello!!!

Post by minima »

:D Morning All!!
I`m new to this site & club (cheque is in the post I swear!). I last owned a Mini 19 years ago which came to an unfortunate end after an altercation with one Mr Charles Stewart Parnell who resides at the top of O`Connell Street, Dublin!
I am now looking to buy a daily runner (I only do a 16 mile roundtrip to work on back roads) which MUST be reliable. Is that possible with a Mini?( My last one never failed me). I see a lot of Minis have had 1.3 Metro engines put in them, is this a good/better unit? What are the essentials that I should look for? I don`t mind getting my hands dirty maintaing/modify.ing the car, though knowledge/ability and not enthusiasm with be the limiting factor!! Any help/advice would be gratefully appreciated. I live on the Northside of Dublin, in Sutton.

Thanks,
Minima (Eric)

keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Re: Hello!!!

Post by keith »

Welcome Eric!!!!

look for rust in the usual places... later cars (90 on?) seem to suffer rust more than older cars. Typically under headlights, firewall near the fresh air vents (hard to spot), doors rust from the inside out, base of windscreen, base of rear screen as well as the old familiar sills, floors, rear subframe, boot floor near battery box.

look for smooth gearchange, specially for 1st to 2nd. drive a few and get to know what a good gearchange is.

reliability: weekly maintenance. battery/alternator in good shape, engine bay clean and dry. if the car hasn't the weather shield for the plugs/dizzy improvise one or buy one.
WD 40 or similar is your friend for all electrical connections.

six monthly maintenance would be more thorough, including oil change, greasing suspension, brakes and steering check.
from about 92 on minis were fuel injected and 1.3 inc. the non cooper versions.

the carb minis are easier to work on, arguably more fun and there's lots of people who can help out.

just shout if you want more!
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

For daily runner the best value at present is '90s injected cars.Watch for rust though esecially on British imports as they use salt on the roads and there seems to be a lot of them poping up over here.The NCT is a lot stricter than the MOT so beware.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Welcome Eric,

For the commute you're talking, a basic 1-litre will do the job for you.

If you pick up a Mini that's over 20 years old, you will also be also to get vintage insurance.

It was never a better time to buy a used Mini as the values have plummted this year so it really is a buyer's market.

As Woody says, be slow to buy a UK import as they are absolute bastards for rust. The '90s Jap imports seem to be less affected and could be cheaper in the long run

Hope it helps,

Billy
minima
NON Member

Post by minima »

8) Thanks for the replies and help guys - will bear all that in mind when I get to lookat one I want. I am leaning towards an older 30+ years so I dont have to pay much road tax (already pay enough with a 3.0, 1.8 and 3.2 all sitting on the driveway!) and it galls me togive the B******s another cent!Also I love the central speedo, what year did that disappear? That said I know I will be limiting myself greatly in choice. Am I right in thinking only cars made after `89 have rear inertia seatbelts? I have 2 kids so they are also a consideration.
I have been scouring pistonheads.com several times a day, what a choice!!(bearing in mind what both Billy and Woody say about rust).
Anyway thanks again for the advice,
Eric
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

30 years old ither needs work or has been restored.Heres one I like
http://www.irishminis.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2364
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
minima
NON Member

Post by minima »

A nice car with a lot of workdone! But you know the way some guys prefer blondes over brunettes - I prefer the ordinary mini over the clubman - no offence to anyone who has one (or a brunette either!!!) 8)
joebe1
NON Member
Whats your location?: Carrick on shannon
What Minis have you?: 1980 mini saloon (fip) 1275cc
1969 Clubman gt historic rally car, 1380 c/r s/c dog box, split 45 webbers
1980 irish clubman estate
1969 mk2 retro rally car 1293 s/c gearbox

Post by joebe1 »

Eric any craic
ur most welcome to the forum, ur distracting me from a folder that has to be handed in for college tomor but never mind.
we have 3 minis at the house, fip is on axle stands at the mo and i m drivin at speed a 1275gt clubman all the time to galway and back to roscommon check out (my brothers 79 clubman on the projects section) reveals all. while ur there have a look at the barn find post,
I have somethin in mind,
that was a 74 mini that we sold to a 16year old, for 1000 euro, it ll never be restored, it has a class 1300 metro engine in it which is a little rocket,
if u dont need the car on the road straight away and ur not afraid to get ur hands dirty????????
minima
NON Member

Post by minima »

Have jumped in with both feet and bought a `78 mini with a Metro engine in the UK yesterday!! Its on pistonheads.com, yes the yellow one! My kids have already christened it Homer (at least I think they were talking about the car!!). I intend picking it up the end of next week, then a 5 hour drive to Holyhead.That will be a true test of man and machine! Any advice on getting insurance? I do have another "normal" car, but I hope to use the mini a lot.
Will bring the car along to the first meet after Nov 10 - assuming we make it back, that is :lol:
Eric
keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

wow.. . . thats a strong yellow! loving the slotmags ....
http://www.petrolheads.com/sales/largep ... INI&model=.*

you *might* consider a top engine steady bracket for the radiator end of the head. that MG lump is a torquey devil! :twisted:
http://www.minisport.com/acatalog/EL58.jpg

also i have a larger (later) fuel tank if you want one.
great buy! there's great value in the market at the mo!
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

axa for 183 euros
minima
NON Member

Post by minima »

thanks Keith, i might take you up on that, give me a call 086 8118449. Spent all morning on the phone with various insurance companies axa came in at 352 for 3.5k-5.2k p/a mileage. Cheapest was FBD 3rd party only 142, they dont do comp on classics, but no mileage limit, no need to have another "ordinary" car but no breakdown recovery. I`m still waiting to hear back from Carole Nash who insure my other "classic" car.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Eric,

That Axa quote looks excessive. 183 is the basic quote for one car including breakdown cover. I can have another 2 Minis for an additional 60 Euros i.e. 30 Euros per car.

Billy
minima
NON Member

Post by minima »

Well "Homer" and I made it back safe and sound from the Uk yesterday morning. The 200 mile drive from March in Cambridgeshire to Liverpool went without a hitch (except I forgot my earplugs-and its a very noisy car!). I couldn`t believe the number of smiles/thumbs up I got from other drivers as we blemmed along the M6!! Gave him a good wash and clean (assisted by my 6 year old son) and we stripped out the carpets and back seat. Back seat is up for grabs if anyone wants it - grey velour with black stripes. Hope to replace the seatbelts with harnesses. I`ve seen them on the net for approx £68 a pair. Does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin where you can buy them? I registered it today so keep an eye out for me ZV 9045, though I think you`ll notice the colour before the reg!! I`ll take a few pics over the next couple of days and post them in the projects section as that is where this car really belongs.

Eric
INNY1300
NON Member

Post by INNY1300 »

Hello Minima,very nice looking mini,i know when i renewed my insurance from Carol Nash,i paid 188 euro's,full comp,agreed value,limited milage of 4000 miles a year,break down cover,and the rest that go's with classic car polices,i thought that was a fairly good price,hope this help's best regard's jon :twisted: