Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Barke Servo Not Working? - Need Advice

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

dragonfly78
NON Member

Barke Servo Not Working? - Need Advice

Post by dragonfly78 »

Hi there

I have a very strong suspicion that my brake servo is not working in my 96 Mini Cooper. I have a friend with a slightly older Cooper with what looks like a similar brake set-up under the bonnet and while driving his the difference is marked, and can't be explained due to pads etc. It really takes a lot of effort to apply the the brakes, and while they work, it shouldn't be so...well, manual :)

So, could it be a problem with power to the servo? Or do these things tend to go, and have to be replaced? Can you get a replacement servo?

All help appreciated!

Thanks,
CJ

keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Re: Barke Servo Not Working? - Need Advice

Post by keith »

the servo takes energy in the form of vacum from the inlet manifold... this may or may not be related to your previous posting uneven idling.

depending on how confident you are with diy, i suggest having a good poke around under the bonnet. failing that, talk to paul kelly in minifix.. he's over n'side and should be able to sort it for you.
i haven't his number to hand but search the site and you will get it.
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

When did you last adjust the back brakes ?

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
dragonfly78
NON Member

Post by dragonfly78 »

The Marcos Graveyard wrote:When did you last adjust the back brakes ?
I haven't adjusted anything at all in terms of brakes etc. Does my type of mini not just have front disk brakes? I thought the handbrakes worked on the back wheels?
dragonfly78
NON Member

Post by dragonfly78 »

keith wrote:the servo takes energy in the form of vacum from the inlet manifold... this may or may not be related to your previous posting uneven idling.

depending on how confident you are with diy, i suggest having a good poke around under the bonnet. failing that, talk to paul kelly in minifix.. he's over n'side and should be able to sort it for you.
i haven't his number to hand but search the site and you will get it.

Thanks Keith - I will have a poke around (I have the Haynes manual) so perhaps something obvious is wrong. If not it might be time to make an appointment and have them take a look at the idling issue too.

Thanks for the feedback!
CJ
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

The back brakes need to be adjusted to take up any slack from wear on the pads, it can make a big difference to overall breaking, follow your haynes manual and take the time to re adjust the handbrake too.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

If your idel is having problems and youve lost your power assistance on braking it sounds like servo diaphram to me.Seen it happen before, there is a repair kit ,though by the sounds of it I think you should get some professional help.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
dragonfly78
NON Member

Post by dragonfly78 »

woody wrote:If your idel is having problems and youve lost your power assistance on braking it sounds like servo diaphram to me.Seen it happen before, there is a repair kit ,though by the sounds of it I think you should get some professional help.
Thanks Woody - the Haynes manual does have a bit in the braking section about renewing a vacuum seal, I need to have a further poke around under the bonnet this weekend and see if there is damage to my seal.
Buddy
NON Member

Post by Buddy »

as tmg said have a poke around with your back brakes

my brakes were terrible and found out both my back brake cylinders had burst, got my bro to tighten the handbrake while he was at it and theyre working like a dream now!
dragonfly78
NON Member

Post by dragonfly78 »

Just to let you guys know that I had my back brakes adjusted and that sorted out the issues I was having. I was a two minute job in the end!
keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

dragonfly78 wrote:Just to let you guys know that I had my back brakes adjusted and that sorted out the issues I was having. I was a two minute job in the end!
looking at the date of the original posting , it looks like it was an 11 month and two minute job! :lol: :D
good to know you got it sorted: just goes to show that more often thean not you can improve the "front" brakes by adjusting the rears!