Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

nice mini

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

dec
NON Member

nice mini

Post by dec »

im going to veiw it on saturday, looks good from the pics, but called and she said it does have rust on sides and 1 small hole in front under head light, anyone any idea what it may cost to patch up properly? shes looking for 4800, but even though its a 1998 iv found older ones in better nic for less, what you guys think? http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Rover/M ... ic/1211086

zakgt
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Maynooth
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1962 - Morris Traveller MK1 - 1978 - 1275GT, 1998 - Sportspack

Re: nice mini

Post by zakgt »

Dec,

Be sure to check the metal at the bottom of the windscreen - later minis rust along here as the windscreen rubber traps the wet.

Also be sure to check the gearbox - the sportpacks have a history of gearbox problems usually found in much higher mileage cars.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Re: nice mini?

Post by Billy »

Dec,

It looks to me like a UK-import so unless she bought it new and moved here herself I'd be dubious on the 1 owner claim. Also, there's no mention in the ad of an NCT. Why not? If it's just been imported, ask to see the MOT sheet and see if it passed/failed recently. To my eye, there's rust under both headlights and on the driver's side A-panel. The ONLY way to probably fix those is to replace them and while you're at it, you'd paint the sills as they also look scabby. I'd guess for parts and bodywork, you're probably looking at an additional 1500 Euros and at a total of 6k, you'd buy a lovely Jap Mini without rust.

There's a few lads in the club in the Clare/Limerick area who might give you a second opinion if you wanted. Where are you based and where is the car?

Hope it helps,

Billy
dec
NON Member

Post by dec »

cheers for the advice lads, the lady owner lives in clare, just above ennis, she bought the car brand new when she lived in scotland, brought it here and uses it to this day, only selling due to having a baby, honestle i just like the colour, im moving to the uk for work, so selling my bike and looking for a mini, dont care what age but would prefer if it didnt need work done, had only intended on spending 3500, also going for a look at his one on friday
http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mini/Cooper/car/1223439
the A panel on the driver side is rusty but he has a new one and is giving it with car, the owner brought it in from uk, paid the vrt but hasnt taxed, kept in storage uses on dry days, has no nct but passed mot last january,it looks to be a good one otherwise and price seems good
what ye think?
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Dec,

If the owner of the red Mini has paid the VRT but not taxed it, it's because you have to NCT the car before you can tax it. It also means he doesn't have a Vehicle Licensing Cert (modern equivalent of a logbook) either. The NCT is stricter than the MOT so push him to NCT it before you consider buying. If it's as good as he says, he should have nothing to fear.

It's a buyer's market right now so don't be afraid to haggle.

Billy
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Unless the rules have changed I vrt 'd a car and taxed it without an NCT 3 years ago.If I was moving to UK I'd buy a mini there and bring it back VRT free after 6 months. Cars in north of UK are worse for rust as weather is worse so more salt on the roads.Buy a car from around London.I wouldn't touch this without an NCT.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

i second Woody's views: if you are going to UK, get one there.. i got a lovely one near s'hampton, paid the VRT (long story, just be careful!) and taxed it. I'm still pondering the issue of NCT, but would be uncomfortable buying one that didn't have the test done.
IMHO the uk MOT is a pretty poor test of a car's condition: if in doubt get it checked over by someone that knows. Its a buyers market everywhere at the moment so you can afford to be picky and land yourself a gem.