Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Clunking

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

coop
NON Member
Whats your location?: Wexford
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: miniless

Clunking

Post by coop »

Hey all, just joined up and looking for advice to the source of my mpis clunking.
The clunk occurs when i accelerate and lift off and I can feel the clunk through the brake pedal when braking and changing down a gear. I have had the car over a pit and a mechanic checked both engine steadies, engine mounts, subframe mounts, balljoints, track rod ends, cv and inner cv joints and the steering rack all to no avail. The clunking seems to be getting worse over time and i was wondering if there any part, which has been overlooked. :? It feels like a bolt is moving back and forth when drive is engaged and disengaged.
Thanks,
coop

The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Re: Clunking

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

Sounds very much like the top engine steady.

To check, with the bonnet open, get a trusted buddy to start the car, handbrake on full, foot hard on the foot brake, clutch in and engage 3rd gear, as you stand to the side of the front wing (out of the path of the car obviously ), have trusted buddy slowly let the clutch out, still with foot brake on, as the clutch bites, observe any rocking motion in the engine and pay particular attention to the engine steadys and engine mounts, any excessive movement should become clear. Don't take too long though, prolonged attempts are not the best for the clutch.

Hope this helps.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

Oh, welcome to the forum by the way. :lol:

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

If its not external,which it usually is, it may be the diff pin.
jocelynn
IMOC Paid Member

Post by jocelynn »

Check the floor were the rear mounts of the front subframe connect they are known to crack in that area also rust there aswell
coop
NON Member

Post by coop »

Hey, thanks to everyone for their suggestions but it is still clunking.

Here is a list of what I have had checked and replaced:
Upper stabiliser bar bushes replaced and bulkhead bracket ok
Tie rod bushes replaced
All balljoints ok (replaced in end of 2007)
Upper suspension arms removed and found to be in perfect condition
Lower suspension arm bush ok
Knuckle joints replaced
Pot joint replaced and no movement found coming from diff
Gearbox to subframe steady bar bushes replaced
Front Subframe rear bushes ok
Both engine mounts ok
Exhaust to gearbox bracket ok
What could it be, since I cant think of what else I can check, the clunk is still on the drivers side and also now happens with one clunk when engine is being turned over providing it was driven recently (within 30 mins).

Also the suspension has been replaced with minitastic fast road springs, which has made it way more comfortable but it was an absolute nightmare of a job to do as on of the front cones was full of water and rust and the threads were gone :evil:, as shown in the pics.

And some compressed cones

Also I installed the springs with lowered Gaz dampers but I retained the standard ride height of 45mm on the front and 50mm on the rear. Would this be ok with these dampers since the lowered dampers are 15mm shorter than standard ones? I went with the lowered dampers to prevent the springs from becoming loose when the car is jacked up.

Front

Rear
sprintmini
NON Member

Post by sprintmini »

Have someone stand at the side of the car with the engine running and slowly release the clutch without too much revs and see if the wheel shudders,there are many causes of this one of which is the diff.
Or check the tie rods and play in the steering rack this can cause juddering if there is to much play in the rack.
coop
NON Member

Post by coop »

sprintmini wrote:Have someone stand at the side of the car with the engine running and slowly release the clutch without too much revs and see if the wheel shudders,there are many causes of this one of which is the diff.
Or check the tie rods and play in the steering rack this can cause juddering if there is to much play in the rack.
Hey thanks for your reply, I just tried that and there is no shuddering happening at the wheel. The tie rods are fine with good bushes and I also pulled up the carpets and checked the rack u-bolts and the column pinch bolt but they were already at the correct torque.
I have also noticed that when the car is left overnight and I drive it in the morning there is no clunking for a mile or so and then it starts to clunk and I can feel the clunk in the pedals, mostly the clutch.
macker
NON Member
Whats your location?: THE FRIDGE
Region: Aboard
What Minis have you?: 110bhp 1968 mkII
Modifications: NEW Custom flakey paint

Post by macker »

i had something similar on an old mini of mine, turned out that the engine steadies/mountings were just a little bit worn and it was the exhaust moving that was causing the clunk (it was a close fit to the underbody),
might be that?
ImageImageImage
joebe1
NON Member
Whats your location?: Carrick on shannon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1980 mini saloon (fip) 1275cc
1969 Clubman gt historic rally car, 1380 c/r s/c dog box, split 45 webbers
1980 irish clubman estate
1969 mk2 retro rally car 1293 s/c gearbox

Post by joebe1 »

Check the bottem pully on the end of the crank, if the bolt is nt tightened properly, the tap washer comes loose, which leads to the pully come loose which damages the woodruf key keepin it in place. had a clunkin in a GT clubman i had, we though it might be shell bearins, but as it only started after the car was runnin for a few minutes it turned out to be that.

hope it helps
coop
NON Member

Post by coop »

joebe1 wrote:Check the bottem pully on the end of the crank, if the bolt is nt tightened properly, the tap washer comes loose, which leads to the pully come loose which damages the woodruf key keepin it in place. had a clunkin in a GT clubman i had, we though it might be shell bearins, but as it only started after the car was runnin for a few minutes it turned out to be that.

hope it helps
I checked this out today and when I start the car from cold, it revs up to 1500 rpm and I could hear a faint rattle when inside the car. When I walked around the car, the noise was most apparent when kneeling down at the passenger side front wheel, where the crank pulley is. After a few minutes the engine was hot and the revs decreased to 900rpm and the rattle was very faint. Also when I started the car I put on the handbrake and let up the clutch to go forward and backwards and there was no clunk but it did clunk a few minutes later. So to fix this can I just tighten the bolt or would I need to renew the lock washer?

Anyway thanks everyone for your input, it will be great to have a mini with no knocks or rattles :D
macker
NON Member

Post by macker »

coop wrote:it will be great to have a mini with no knocks or rattles :D
ahh the holy grail of minis!

i thought that was just a myth :lol:
ImageImageImage
THOMAS
NON Member

Post by THOMAS »

If it has no knocks or rattles it is not a mini..................
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

There are plenty of minis with no knocks or rattles. There called long term projects and generaly sit quietly in the corner waiting for the day they can knock and rattle again.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
joebe1
NON Member
Whats your location?: Carrick on shannon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1980 mini saloon (fip) 1275cc
1969 Clubman gt historic rally car, 1380 c/r s/c dog box, split 45 webbers
1980 irish clubman estate
1969 mk2 retro rally car 1293 s/c gearbox

Post by joebe1 »

well its the kind of job that does nt sound so bad when u say it quick. there a small bit to, Rad off, engind mount etc. Take a long screw driver and see if u can see any movement in the pully. Theres no point takin the whole thing apart to find its not the problem, but it sounds very like the prob.

sorry for the late reply, sher if it Does nt work give me a shout no is on the home page

joe :D :D
twinjocks
IMOC Paid Member

Post by twinjocks »

[quote="THOMAS"]If it has no knocks or rattles it is not a mini..................[/quote]

Just laughing at the sheer variety of noises Minis make: In only the last few threads, we've had one "Clunking" and another "Clicking". One of my Minis is definitely clunking and whirring at the moment, and I could swear I heard a fluttering noise yesterday!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Julie
coop
NON Member

Post by coop »

I have now repaired the bottom pulley, just needed tightening and a new washer, thanks joe :D
coop wrote:it will be great to have a mini with no knocks or rattles :D
I obviously spoke too soon there is now a squeak coming from inside the car by the pedals. The clutch pedal now squeaks when I press it and when I am driving along there is a squeak that sounds like two things rubbing together (Very high pitched) and it occurs when I am maintaining a constant speed. So the only way to stop it squeaking is to keep changing my speed and dont use the clutch, which is difficult :lol: Its not the knuckle joint since I rebuilt the suspension last week with all new bits.

How hard can it be to be a knock and rattle free mini :(
92Coop
NON Member

Post by 92Coop »

coop wrote:How hard can it be to be a knock and rattle free mini :(

i find that normally when a noise disappears, something has fallen off :roll:
macker
NON Member

Post by macker »

my best advice............................

Turn up the radio!! :D
ImageImageImage