Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

99 Mini Cooper Refurb

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Darran
Comittee Member
Whats your location?: Abbeyleix
Co. Laois
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1961 Austin Seven,1982 Mini Van,1980 Clubman Estate,1982 Clubman Estate,1986 Mini City,1991 Mini Neon,1994 Mini Cabriolet,1996 Mini Cooper,1997 Mini Cooper Sportspack,1999 Mini Cooper Sportspack

99 Mini Cooper Refurb

Post by Darran »

Hi everybody,

Well a couple of weeks ago i sent my mini away for a few little bits to be freshened up including a pair of new sills, but as always with minis, it is turning into a full blown respray now and repair some horror holes found lurking underneath :evil:
Ive got a very good s/h bootlid also as the original one had a lot of corrosion along the bottom of it.
I also got a s/h bonnet as the old one had some dents & creases in it that would have been hard to repair.
Hope to have it back to former glory by St Paddys day hopefully.
Heres a few horror pictures from today :(

Ouch :shock:

Eeek :shock: :shock:

Thats all for now, will keep ye posted on progress in the near future.

Darran.

Darran Hutchinson
PRO / Event Coordinator
Irish Mini Owners Club
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Re: 99 Mini Cooper Refurb

Post by Billy »

Welcome to my world Darran. That looks scary, and expensive. What harm but that Mini looks spotless in your Collection thread.

Billy
Darran
Comittee Member
Co. Laois
What Minis have you?: 1961 Austin Seven,1982 Mini Van,1980 Clubman Estate,1982 Clubman Estate,1986 Mini City,1991 Mini Neon,1994 Mini Cabriolet,1996 Mini Cooper,1997 Mini Cooper Sportspack,1999 Mini Cooper Sportspack

Post by Darran »

Billy wrote:Welcome to my world Darran. That looks scary, and expensive. What harm but that Mini looks spotless in your Collection thread.

Billy
Cheers Billy, i feel your pain! To be honest the body isnt too bad,red has always been a great colour to hide those annoying marks, but bodywork man reckons it easier to respray than touch up all the little bits that had to be done.
The worst was under the sills, where you would never see, but it had to be done at some stage, i hadnt expected it to be that bad though. The guy that is doing the job has a great knowledge of minis and is already getting the metal fabricated for the floor repairs, hes confident of repairing it back perfect.
It probably looks worse now than it was as he has been cutting away the rust before i took the pictures.

Darran.
Darran Hutchinson
PRO / Event Coordinator
Irish Mini Owners Club
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

that's some nasty rust for just an 11 year old car

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
dermosmini
NON Member
Whats your location?: Newbridge
What Minis have you?: 1991 Mini studio 2

Post by dermosmini »

Looks like a fair bit of work involved Darran,but will be worth it when its back in shape.Have mine stripped to the shell almost now its a 91 but there seems to be less rust so I'm hoping it wont work out to expensive to repair.Notice your based in Laois,where abouts are you getting it done and would you have a contact number for the chap who's doing it or would he even be interested in taking another one on?
Cheers Dermot
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Between an A series and a G13B
What Minis have you?: 61 van,68 MKII,
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

Post by kerryminigringo »

Good to see it getting a bit of TLC Darran.I have to say I am shocked by the amount of rust on it as it looks so clean the last time I saw it,just goes to show what is hiding beneath.Plenty of Waxoyl when its finished and it will be good for another 11 years.
Real Clubmans have a square nose.Seriously.
Darran
Comittee Member
Co. Laois

Post by Darran »

dermosmini wrote:Looks like a fair bit of work involved Darran,but will be worth it when its back in shape.Have mine stripped to the shell almost now its a 91 but there seems to be less rust so I'm hoping it wont work out to expensive to repair.Notice your based in Laois,where abouts are you getting it done and would you have a contact number for the chap who's doing it or would he even be interested in taking another one on?
Cheers Dermot
Hi dermosmini, just read your own project, looks like a good one alright, best of luck with it. Im based in Abbeyleix and my bodywork man is based around there too. I'll pm you his number if you want to chat to him, im sure he is hungry for work!

Darran.
Darran Hutchinson
PRO / Event Coordinator
Irish Mini Owners Club
Darran
Comittee Member
Co. Laois

Post by Darran »

Well i paid a visit to the body shop today and was pleasantly suprised not to see daylight shining up through the floor at last! :D
Still a long way to go, but he has 90% of the holes patched and repaired as you can see in the photos but it needs to be grinded down and made flush with the rest of the body.
He also has fitted 1 of the new sills to the drivers side and reinstated jacking points etc.
Also, as the second hand bonnet was off an older mini, he had to cut, grind and relocate the bonnet catch etc. The bonnet is preped now also,just awaiting spraying.
He has also removed the front windscreen to do some minor repair to the scuttle panel. it wasnt bad but better to deal with it now rather than later.
Heres some photos of progress so far. .

Passenger side of the car - patches welded in but but not tidied up yet.

Offending scuttle panel waiting to be completed

Drivers side cleaned up with new sill fitted and jacking point reinstated.

Picture of second hand bonnet with bonnot catch relocated and preped.

Just a few inside floor pictures next, just patched but will be cleaned up, grinded down and sealed up later with lots & lots of waxoil :wink:

Thats it for now folks, i'll keep ye all posted on progress later on.

Darran.
Darran Hutchinson
PRO / Event Coordinator
Irish Mini Owners Club
StanO'Toole
NON Member
Whats your location?: South Dublin
What Minis have you?: 1995 Mini Mayfair
1994 Mini Sprite

Post by StanO'Toole »

Theres a fine bit of work going into that Mini! Keep the pictures coming, its a really cool project! I still find it amzing how scary it looks now and how mint they end up at the end of the resto! :shock:
Getting old is a must but growing up is optional!

StanO'Toole :mrgreen:
Iwill
NON Member
Whats your location?: clare
What Minis have you?: Morris Mini 1968
Modifications: None unless rust counts

Post by Iwill »

And i thought my brother 2000 Ford transit was bad but :shock: good luck mate i will be watching it might get me to ask about the rotten mini up the road from me :lol:
I will make it fit with a hammer
Darran
Comittee Member
Co. Laois

Post by Darran »

Well things are finally starting to take shape now and i can finally see light at the end of the tunnell and not through the floor anymore :D
Floor was completely repaired and new sills fitted up after. It has since been stripped and just been painted yesterday.
I also took delivery of a new back bumper, new bonnot strips, new side strips & decals etc for when its finished.
Here are a few pictures of it in the spray booth today, dont mind the way the colour came out in the photos, i had no camera so i took them with my phone and they came out a little pink.

Darran.

More pics in a few days hopefully.

Darran.
Darran Hutchinson
PRO / Event Coordinator
Irish Mini Owners Club
Laurna77
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Sligo
Modifications: Metro engine

Post by Laurna77 »

Looking good Darran
Laurna Conboy
Pro / Event Coordinator
087-6265396
Darran
Comittee Member
Co. Laois

Post by Darran »

Thanks Laurna, its getting there now.
Darran Hutchinson
PRO / Event Coordinator
Irish Mini Owners Club
keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

Darren, thats looking fine.... I'd be very keen to have a chat with that place.. can you PM' the details? hopefully my yoke wont need too much! :roll:
Signature still awaiting top-coat and lacquer....
Darran
Comittee Member
Co. Laois

Post by Darran »

keith wrote:Darren, thats looking fine.... I'd be very keen to have a chat with that place.. can you PM' the details? hopefully my yoke wont need too much! :roll:
No bother Keith, you have pm.

Darran.
Darran Hutchinson
PRO / Event Coordinator
Irish Mini Owners Club
Darran
Comittee Member
Co. Laois

Post by Darran »

Called in today and its getting a little closer again, the putting back together always takes longer! The car still has to be machine polished yet and interior fitted back also.
Also got a tow bar fitted today (thanks to Billy for collecting) and will have a nice little surpise for the mini in the next week also, currently "work in progress" also and will post photos probably next week. . . :wink: :wink:

Darran.
Darran Hutchinson
PRO / Event Coordinator
Irish Mini Owners Club
keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

Darran, it looks really, really well.. fair play to you and Eugene. did you prepare it in any way yourself by removing carpets/seats/glass etc? and will it be waxoiled/chip coated etc as part of the job?
Signature still awaiting top-coat and lacquer....
Darran
Comittee Member
Co. Laois

Post by Darran »

keith wrote:Darran, it looks really, really well.. fair play to you and Eugene. did you prepare it in any way yourself by removing carpets/seats/glass etc? and will it be waxoiled/chip coated etc as part of the job?
Hi Keith, Eugene did it all himself, to be honest we both thought it would only be in for a few days to get a few rust bubbles sorted and a pair of sills fitted but you can see what it turned into. :shock:
He has chipcoated the whole underside of the mini and sealed it up alright but he wont be waxoiling it. I am going to try the waxoiling myself when i get it back, i have chatted to a few people about how to do it and it seems fairly straight forward, maybe just a little messy.

Darran.
Darran Hutchinson
PRO / Event Coordinator
Irish Mini Owners Club
Darran
Comittee Member
Co. Laois

Post by Darran »

Well i called out to Eugene's this evening and its all starting to come together at last.
He was putting the bonnet strips on when i called, all that is left is the bonnet chrome strip to be fitted and cooper laurels at the end of the strips. It also needs a good cleaning inside but im looking forward to getting stuck into this myself!

Heres a few pictures as it stands this evening, i'll post more up maybe at the weekend when i have it back and shined up in all its glory!

Darran.
Darran Hutchinson
PRO / Event Coordinator
Irish Mini Owners Club
Tony Cooney
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
What Minis have you?: 1992 Mini City

Post by Tony Cooney »

Looking good Darran :)

Tony
Laurna77
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Sligo
Modifications: Metro engine

Post by Laurna77 »

Looking very good Darran
Laurna Conboy
Pro / Event Coordinator
087-6265396
antodeco
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Ballyfermot, Dublin 10
What Minis have you?: '89 Mayfair
'80 1275GT
'79 Unknown!
'76 Clubman

Post by antodeco »

Thats some turnaround! Can you PM me on the details/general cost it was for you. Thanks
-Mmmmmmmmmini-
Darran
Comittee Member
Co. Laois

Post by Darran »

Thanks everyone, yeah it got done quite fast after in the end! I'll pm you on some details antodeco.
Well its home now and after a good rub down here are a few pics of it, im delighted to have it finished. Looking forward to giving it a good run next week on the "Hillbilly Run"!! :D :D

Darran.
Darran Hutchinson
PRO / Event Coordinator
Irish Mini Owners Club
dermosmini
NON Member
Whats your location?: Newbridge
What Minis have you?: 1991 Mini studio 2

Post by dermosmini »

Its looking stunning Darren,he's done a great job.Could you pm me please aswell with an idea of costs and where ya got your panels and stuff,just haven't got a clue of what I need to get yet for my one.Cheers
Paulspill
NON Member
Whats your location?: Innishannon, Co. Cork
Region: Southern

Post by Paulspill »

Hi Darren would you have a contact and a general area for the person who did this for you if you don't mind.
Thanks.
Paul