Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Rolling road and tuning

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

mcgrattan17
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Mayfair 1275 Automatic

Rolling road and tuning

Post by mcgrattan17 »

Hi guys I’m ordering a new stage one kit for my 1275 and I’m wondering is there anywhere in the Dublin area with a rolling road that can fine tune it after I’ve installed the exhaust and new needle into my hif 38? Also if I decide to change my engine in the next few years it’s auto at the moment and would like to convert to manual, if I go for a slightly bigger or better tuned 1275 will I need a hif 44 and will the stage one kit I have now fit it? Thanks for all your help really appreciate it

The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Re: Rolling road and tuning

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

HIF44 is the way to go with a 1275. To be honest I wouldn't bother tuning the auto if you intend to convert to manual anyway, save your money for that conversion instead.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
mcgrattan17
NON Member

Post by mcgrattan17 »

Have you any idea where I’d get a hif 44 that isn’t mental money? I think the manifold is on the way out in my car that’s why I’m ordering the stage 1 as I wanted to do it in the future anyway and I’ll have to tune the carb when the new needle goes into it
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

There were Hif44 carbs complete with manifolds going for around £130 at the IMM last week, I don't know if there is any auto jumble at the Mini 60 show in Mondello this weekend but there usually are sellers at the Causeway Coast Mini Show in Portrush the following weekend.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
mcgrattan17
NON Member

Post by mcgrattan17 »

Sorry thanks for replying I’m away in Spain. I’ve ordered an rc40 exhaust and needle for the hif38, so if I get a 44 over the next while all I have to do is get a new needle. McNamara’s in Dublin are going to have a look at my carb to make sure it’s in decent nick and tune it with the new exhaust in so hopefully that’ll make a difference
daniel garry
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1996 BRG mayfair 1275 auto-lyin up now
1990 1l city-daily driver
1993 cooper spi-completly stripped and upside down!
the long term project(advantage) courtesy of mr skelly!!
rotten shell-found a floor repair panel in the boot tho!

Post by daniel garry »

mcgrattan17 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:49 pm Sorry thanks for replying I’m away in Spain. I’ve ordered an rc40 exhaust and needle for the hif38, so if I get a 44 over the next while all I have to do is get a new needle. McNamara’s in Dublin are going to have a look at my carb to make sure it’s in decent nick and tune it with the new exhaust in so hopefully that’ll make a difference
dropped my mini into McNamaras a few years ago, wasn't super impressed if i'm honest, the car didn't feel any better than what i had done with a Colour tune!
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Do McNamaras still have a rolling road? They had one years ago in Dublin city centre while all there needles and tuning parts were in Fairview. Nobody at the rolling road centre seemed to know how to use it.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
mcgrattan17
NON Member

Post by mcgrattan17 »

I’m not sure if they’re putting it on a rolling road they never mentioned one they just said they’ll install the exhaust and needle that I ordered and tune accordingly
mcgrattan17
NON Member

Post by mcgrattan17 »

daniel garry wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:52 am
mcgrattan17 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:49 pm Sorry thanks for replying I’m away in Spain. I’ve ordered an rc40 exhaust and needle for the hif38, so if I get a 44 over the next while all I have to do is get a new needle. McNamara’s in Dublin are going to have a look at my carb to make sure it’s in decent nick and tune it with the new exhaust in so hopefully that’ll make a difference
dropped my mini into McNamaras a few years ago, wasn't super impressed if i'm honest, the car didn't feel any better than what i had done with a Colour tune!
Sorry I’m only seeing this now. Thanks for getting back to me, I found a place that’s going to do it closer to my house that has experience in fixing and tuning classics
Adam-Dublin
NON Member
Whats your location?: South Dublin
What Minis have you?: 1974 Austin Mini

Post by Adam-Dublin »

Hi there,
Looking to get mine tuned in dublin too!
Who did you use in the end and were they any good?
Thanks
Adam