Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Thinking about buying this Mini

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Saab nut
NON Member
Whats your location?: Ashbourne Co. Meath
Region: Eastern

Thinking about buying this Mini

Post by Saab nut »

Hi all,

New to the forum and new to minis. I've been looking at donedeal recently to buy a mini, currently the selection is quite small (if there are others for sale here please do let me know!)

But one has caught my eye and attention and I'm interested in it. I have not contacted the seller yet because i wanted to ask here if anybody knows the car and if it's all legit etc it has the forum stickers on it.

Anyway here is the link, any info would be very much appreciated

Thank you

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for ... e/29061734

woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Re: Thinking about buying this Mini

Post by woody »

Hi welcome to the forum. I don't know how much you know about minis and I'm not familiar with this car although it does carry club stickers so I'll just point out some basics.
Although badged as a cooper it is not being advertised as a cooper so it is probably just cosmetic, without pictures of the engine or interior we cannot tell. The Sportspack Cooper was not available untill 1997. A '93 Cooper will be fuel injected and a standard mini will be carburetor with less power and lower insurance. The high reg number means it could be an import so check for rust underneath. Car looks good so I'm surprised theres no pics of interior and engine bay, at that price they should also be spotless.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
Saab nut
NON Member

Post by Saab nut »

Hi woody,

Thank you for that reply,

I did note the stickers for this club which is why I was hoping that maybe somebody knew this car, I even tried searching back on the Facebook page and didn't see it in any pictures so a bit lost on that one too.

What do you make of the holes in the bonnet ?

The car from motorcheck is an import so yes definitely something to keep an eye on.

So would you reckon it's worth a look or maybe another forum member knows the car ?

I'm surprised he didn't photo the inside or engine but I would look over them and for that price I'd hope the car is clean and doesn't need any or much work !
NeilRichmond
NON Member
Whats your location?: Mayo
Region: Western

Post by NeilRichmond »

Although proportionate, the mileage is high.

I would expect a Mini with that mileage to have had some work done over it's lifetime. I would certainly be looking for receipts and evidence of keeping the motor tip top.

91,000 miles is high, and unless any work has been done on the engine, it is at the point where certain parts would need replacing, ie, oil pump, oil seals, etc. The engines are very good being cast iron, but need more frequent oil changes as they share their engine and gearbox oil

Look at the bottoms of the doors, door steps, A panels, windscreen scuttle, wings around the headlights, the outer and inner sills and the rear subframe. Chassis numbers and engine numbers can supply information as to the correct origins of the car too
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
Saab nut
NON Member

Post by Saab nut »

The Marcos Graveyard wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:39 pm This may be an option for you

https://www.forum.irishminis.ie/viewtop ... 128#p82128
Wow,

Thank you for sharing this with me. I like it very much. Just waiting another few days before I pull the trigger on getting one.